The ASU Police Department has recently gone through several command staff changes, and all of the staff changes are already in effect, Cmdr. Jim Hardina said.

Cmdr. Richard Wilson, who formerly oversaw police operations at ASU’s Downtown Phoenix campus, will now serve as the interim police chief for the department. In his new position, he is in charge of dispatch, records, crime prevention, criminal investigations, property and fleet and evidence for the department.

Wilson has been serving as the commander for the Downtown Phoenix campus since its opening in 2006. His move fills the position that was left empty by former Assistant Chief Jay Spradling, who left earlier this year.

Taking over Wilson’s former post will be Cmdr. Kevin Williams, who has been a commander for the West campus since 2010. While in his new position, Williams will still continue his work in the same capacity at the West campus.

Cmdr. Jim Hardina has also moved to the Polytechnic campus, where he will oversee police operations. He will still function as the public information officer for the department and continue projects he has been working on, including the development of a Facebook page for the department.

“Your desk may be in a different office, but the way you do work is going to be the same,” Hardina said.

Cmdr. William Orr has taken over Hardina’s spot on the Tempe campus, where he will be in charge of patrol operations and oversee the firearms program as a range master.

Orr has worked for the ASU Police Department for 20 years in various positions.

Hardina said that although some of the staff has changed campuses, the move does not change the way they work as a police force because they function as one police unit.

Reach the reporter at Katherine.torres@asu.edu

×