Atomic Comics closes after 25 years

COMICS CRUMBLED: After serving Arizona comic book fans for 25 years, Atomic Comics is closing its doors. The store declared bankruptcy after being hit hard by the economic recession and leaves a void in the Valley’s comics community. (Photo by Taylor Lineberger)

Atomic Comics, a Valley leader in comic book sales, closed all four Valley locations Monday after 25 years of operation due to bankruptcy.

Atomic Comics gained prominence as the premiere Valley comic book warehouse and saw profits of up to $5 million during its best years, owner Mike Malve said in a newsletter.

“The villain in this tragedy is the economy,” Malve said. “I had hoped to be the superhero and triumph over the recession, but sadly the economic downturn of the last five years has proven to be unsustainable.”

Malve opened in 1988 as Bubba’s Comic Store. Atomic Comics has since cultivated a name for itself, culminating in its feature in the 2010 film “Kick Ass.”

The comic book community, both locally and nationally, is saddened by the closure of Atomic Comics.

“I have personal feelings,” Mesa’s Gotham City Comics co-owner Miguel Vega said. “I worked there for so long before opening Gotham City (Comics). To myself and to the customers, it was a shock.”

Gotham City Comics is attempting to avoid the same fate by offering a café and Xbox room, Vega said.

Local First Arizona, a non-profit organization founded by Kimber Lanning in 2003 to provide resources to local businesses, has several comic book stores among its members, including Samurai Comics Superstore and All About Books and Comics.

“It’s heart breaking,” Lanning said of Atomic Comics’ closure. “I know he poured his blood, sweat and tears into doing what he loved.”

The remaining Valley comic shops are set to pick up where Atomic Comics left off.

A comic shop is a place where you go to be amongst those with your same interest and to be with friends, Vega said.

“How can I sell superhero comics without helping out my community?” Vega said.

Reach the reporter at ealopez7@asu.edu

×