The new semester starts and you are super organized. You vow to keep up with your reading, start studying early, take diligent notes in class and actually sleep during finals week. You start out really strong, but by the fifth week of the semester, you’re starting to slide. By the tenth week you can barely keep your head above water. Does this sound familiar? You are not alone!

A 2010 study from UCLA found that only over half of college students consider their emotional health above average. Stress was one of the factors that contributed to this all-time low.

Derrick Hester, a communications senior, has four jobs on campus including working with Sun Devil Athletics and the School of Music. “The most difficult thing for me is making sure I'm taking care of all of my responsibilities while not alienating friends or missing out on any fun,” Derrick said.

Staying ahead of your stress is not easy, but it can be done. You must carefully plan your semester and avoid procrastinating. Procrastination is a college student’s worst enemy. This semester, be prepared to fight it.

During your first week of classes, collect all of your course syllabi together in a pile. Look through all of your homework deadlines and write them down in a calendar. Your professors may have dictated when your assignments must be finished, but now you have to decide when to start them.

Writing a “start date” in your calendar that corresponds to each “due date” is essential. Most of the time when we procrastinate, it is not because we are intentionally trying to be lazy. It is because we haven’t committed to a clear start date so putting off our work becomes easy.

After all, when you have a packed schedule, it is extremely tempting to not worry about assignments until their deadlines become imminent.

“Students procrastinate because their minds are running 100 mph and they have too many things to accomplish,” said Bree Farmer, a business law junior.

With your busy schedule, you cannot assume that you will just stumble upon the time and motivation to begin an assignment. You have to plan in advance when to start your work.

As you are deciding when to make your start dates, be sure to leave yourself plenty of time before your deadline. Remember: Work always takes twice as long as you think it will and computers love to break right before big assignments are due.

“I write all of my assignments in my school agenda ahead of time so I am never late with school work,” said Farmer. “If you are organized with your daily activities, then you'll be organized with your accomplishments and goals.”

By holding yourself accountable to the start dates you set, you will be far less likely to procrastinate and decrease your chances of feeling overwhelmed before deadlines. Make this the semester you feel in control of your workload.

Reach the columnist at Emily.Muller@asu.edu.

×