Student input driving force for construction of downtown SRC

The parking lot directly south of the YMCA near the Downtown campus will soon be converted to additional student recreation facilities to better serve ASU’s growing downtown community.

Downtown students currently use the YMCA as the campus’ main recreation facility.

Earlier this month, the Arizona Board of Regents authorized ASU to purchase the 27,700-square-foot plot of land adjacent to the YMCA.

“The idea is to have (the recreation center) interfacing with the existing YMCA so that the amenities in both buildings can be shared,” said Patrick Panetta, associate director for University Real Estate Development.

While there is no set date to begin construction, the new facility is scheduled to open spring 2013, bringing the size of the recreation facility to about 95,000-square-feet.

The building is still in the design phase, but architects, school officials and students have been collaborating to ensure the facility meets the needs of students.

“The main goal of this recreation center is not for anything else but to appease the students,” said journalism junior Jessica Abercrombie, who is also the student-voting member on the Facility Fee Board for the downtown recreation center.

Based on student feedback, the number one priority is the construction of an outdoor lounge pool where students can sunbathe and play water sports, Abercrombie said.

Open forums with the architects allowed students to give suggestions and take part in the design process.

Abercrombie serves as the student voice in the design process for the new facility.

“Each step of the way we have been very transparent and open to student feedback,” Abercrombie said.

Students can still offer input on the SRC website.

Students are also asking for more free weight space, cardio space and multi-purpose rooms, Abercrombie said.

The YMCA is open to the public and overcrowding at peak hours has been a main concern of students.

Nursing sophomore Emily Schutsky said she avoids going to the YMCA in the afternoon because that is when the facility is busiest, but overall she has been pleased with the facility.

The construction budget for the SRC is about $13.5 million, which is funded by a $75 service facility fee.

Reach the reporter at leandra.huffer@asu.edu

×