Europe has a stranglehold on the golfing world.

After Europe’s decisive win over USA in the Solheim cup all three international golf trophies, the Ryder, Walker and Solheim, reside on the east side of the pond.

Ex-ASU golfers Anna Nordqvist and Azahara Munoz both played key roles in securing the European victory, with Munoz securing the final point in the 15-13 win.

Ex-ASU golfers were represented in all three tournaments. Recent graduate James Byrne helped the Great Britain and Ireland team win the Walker Cup and ASU legend Phil Mickelson won his individual match with Peter Hansen for losing campaign in the Ryder Cup.

Nordqvist went 2-1 in her twosome matches but lost her individual match, while Munoz went 1-1-1 in her twosome matches and won her individual.

It was Europe’s first win since 2003 and the closest margin of victory in the tournament’s history.

The only international tournament that Europe doesn’t hold is the PING Junior Solheim Cup, in which USA rallied to draw and retain the cup.

Emilie Alonso of France, who competed in the Junior Solheim Cup, will join the Sun Devils in January.

— John McKelvey II Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×