Call of Duty XP gives fans first look at 'Modern Warfare 3'

Courtesy of Activision
Courtesy of Activision

With just a few short months until the release of “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3,” publisher Activision gave the anxious public a sneak peak of the game’s multiplayer mode.

On Sept. 2-3, thousands of “Call of Duty” fanatics gathered in a huge airplane hangar near Los Angeles for Call of Duty XP, a convention for all things related to the game. Tickets cost $150 each with the proceeds going to Activision's charity “Call of Duty Endowment,” a nonprofit organization founded to help soldiers integrate themselves back into civilian life.

The event itself was massive. Activities like paintball tournaments and a zip line kept people entertained while they waited to get a look at the game. Rap superstar Kanye West was also in attendance with an exclusive performance to close out the weekend.

Activision also revealed that “Arrested Development” stars Jason Bateman and Will Arnett will be bringing a new brand of comedy to the game. The duo will be the announcers for a series called “Noob Tube,” a “Mystery Science Theater” type commentary show on Elite TV, a feature included with a subscription to Call of Duty Elite.

The entire weekend was a great entertainment event, but the sole purpose of everyone in attendance was to actually the see the game. Unsurprisingly, it was largely what everyone expected — a lot more of the same.

“Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3” holds true to the age old adage “if it ain’t broke, don't fix it.” There have been several major tweaks to the game’s overall mechanics but nearly everything is largely the same, just with a shiny new coat of paint.

The multiplayer mode works much like the previous games. Two teams square off and the more you win, the more experience points you gain. Experience points are necessary to both level up and give you access to new equipment.

It was also announced that the developers hope to make the experience a more technical, skill-based affair as opposed to an onslaught by whoever has the largest gun. This means players will no longer be able to cruise around with overpowered guns, ending games as quickly as they began.

Activision is going all out for the release of “Modern Warfare 3.” While the game has not changed very much, it still appeals to a huge group of people and will make significant noise in the gaming world when it releases on Nov. 8.

Reach the reporter at tkuipers@asu.edu

×