True sports fans are hard to come by.

While most people claim to have a favorite team, they also seem to have several other teams they like or cheer for.

How often do you see a kid on campus supporting a team via a jersey or hat only to support a new team the next day?

Unfortunately, jerseys and hats have become fashion statements rather than signs of real fandom.

Hats are sold in so many colors and styles that vary drastically from those of the actual team they are supposed to be representing.

While many would claim they are wearing a hat to show their allegiance to a certain team, it is more likely they purchased the hat to give their outfit that added bit of swagger.

The rainbow-colored pinstriped hats would not be such a problem if people did not have a hat for every team.

There’s nothing wrong with supporting your team and having a sense of style at the same time, but there is no reason to support every team in the league just because the designs look cool.

Sports are supposed to be fun, but they are also supposed to be competitive, and competition is hard to achieve when someone is a fan of every team.

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×