Why do people still hate Ron Artest?

Is it still because of the infamous “BasketBrawl” back in 2004? Is it because people continue think of Artest as a thug? Or is it just because of his affiliation with the Los Angeles Lakers?

I’ll give regard to the third reason, but if you’re sipping on the Ron Artest Haterade for other silly reasons, please step out from the rock you’re living under.

True, he’s got a very dark history in the NBA, but since he joined the Lakers in 2009, he’s actually grown to be an admirable athlete.

He raffled off his 2010 NBA Championship ring to benefit mental health awareness nationwide, and then spoke in front of Congress to promote better support of it. He now breaks up fights instead of starting them. He was likable enough to be selected to "Dancing With the Stars," and then announced he’ll donate all of his earnings from the show.

He’s even trying to change his name to “Metta World Peace.”

Oh, and he’s an NBA Finals hero as well.

The list is infinite, but are Artest’s new actions a little silly? Sure, but in sports, we often concentrate too much on the negative, and hardly on the true role models. It’s time to start giving Metta World Peace his due credit.

×