College kids like to have fun. Most people seem to understand that along with the studying comes some partying.

The partying at the beginning of this semester, however, increased significantly.

According to The State Press, ASU police answered 298 calls for disruptive parties and stops for DUIs during the University’s first week of school.

They also issued 200 citations to minors consuming alcoholic beverages.

With these statistics in mind, let’s analyze why this occurs.

Some of the partying happens because kids are finally away from their parents and feel they are now free to do what they please. Not all parties are represented here, but maybe a significant minority is. According to United States Department of Health and Human Services, 44 percent of college freshmen 17 to 21 years old take part in some sort of alcoholic activity.

This statement, whether you like it or not, has extreme validity, especially in correlation with the 200 citations given out to minors for consuming alcohol.

It’s immature to break the law on such a needless basis. It’s also immature to break the law while attending a prestigious university. Education is a gift and it can be taken away as soon as it is obtained.

Some may argue that this isn’t the case, since a greater percentage of college students today are older as opposed to younger. For example, according to the United States Department of Education, adults attending college over the age of 25 has doubled from 1970 through 1998. Imagine what the percentage is today. Therefore, they say, it can’t be just the younger students causing trouble at universities.

However, these critics don’t take into account the age range of participants at parties. From my personal experience, I can tell you the parties I have attended consisted of mainly younger people.

I encourage you, the next time you attend a party, to try and guess the age range of that party; my guess is that it will be around ages 18 to 24. If this is the case and it is a younger crowd, be careful. Irresponsibility always seems to take more visible forms with those at a younger age.

In light of the increased law enforcement, some students say it makes them feel “uneasy.” Really?

ASU police respond to disturbance calls not to be disruptive and end “fun,” but to keep the peace and make sure local law is still given its due sanctity.

If students don’t like the enforcement, don’t harass the police for doing their job; get involved in changing the law, perhaps. Make your argument known. Don’t complain when police, who are trying to serve and protect society, happen to bust your party.

Since politics is most efficient at a more local level, I believe in the validity of local law. I believe in society’s necessity to enforce that law and I see it as something imperative.

If you don’t want your party busted, be smart about it.

Reach the columnist at spmccaul@asu.edu.

×