What challenges have you overcome? What are you passionate about? What do you want to do with your degree? How would you describe yourself? Well, right now I’d describe myself as a bit overwhelmed.

The struggle to define oneself is natural. In 1968, developmental psychologist Erik Erikson coined the “identity crisis” theory as a standard stage of teenage life. Subsequent psychologists verified this theory and built upon it. Humans crave identity.

But in recent years, techno-pop culture has aggravated that craving to the point of addiction. The question “Who am I?” is no longer just fuel for adolescent poetry — it’s a question you’ve got to answer now.

Social networks ask for short, snappy bios, forcing people to condense their personalities into a line of size 11 pt. Lucida Grande font.

Advertising doesn’t help. Are you a Mac, a PC, an Abercrombie girl?

And what do you believe in? You might like to recycle, but are you ready to declare sustainability as your area of expertise?

In an identity frenzy, many people leap to conclusions. Author Chuck Klosterman writes about the “one-dimensional personality” trend in his book “Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs.” Shows like “Real World,” he says, simplify people into flat, static characters who can provide digestible entertainment within a one-hour slot.

“Being interesting has been replaced by being identifiable,” he writes.

Of course, one-dimensional pop-culture characters aren’t new. Depth and complexity didn’t accompany Snow White in 1937 either.

But today’s flat characters aren’t princesses—they’re portrayed as the real deal. If “Real World’s” Kevin from New Jersey is all about race relations, he’s got it together.  And if you aren’t all about something, you must be confused.

However, I don’t think it’s as simple as Klosterman does. TV certainly contributes to single-faceted personalities, but the pressure to concisely define oneself stems from other places, too.

School is one huge source. Students don’t study for the sake of learning. They study for the sake of reaching pre-defined goals.

Now, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with knowing what you want to do—until you don’t want to do it anymore. Then years of coursework become irrelevant. Parents’ visions are shattered. And to follow your new dreams, you’ll have to come up with a few extra years’ worth of tuition.

However, it seems having an open mind is not an option. Entire courses are constructed to coerce students onto one career path or another. Whether it’s choosing a major or a choosing a topic for a required blog, education forces self-definition every day.

Educators encourage this constant pursuit of long-term goals, but desires change. According to an MSNBC article, 50 percent of students will change their major at some point in their college career.

In today’s identity-obsessed society, that probably means 50 percent of students will face letting people down and go through another crisis. And as for those who don’t change their major— are they just really in touch with themselves? Or are they too scared to admit they’re not?

When found naturally, a sense of identity can prove legitimately comforting and effective. But if the identity doesn’t fit, don’t let it tie you down.

Go ahead, leave that Google+ bio line blank for a few days.

Reach the columnist at algrego1@asu.edu

×