Maroon and Gamer: Deus Ex, Human Business Practices

To give a little background information “Deus Ex: Human Revolution” is a critically acclaimed game that proposes, in the year 2027, what the world would be like with robotic limbs and augmentations and what kinds of moral qualms arise from disrupting human evolution. Sounds like your typical sci-fi set-up? Where “Deus Ex: Human Revolution” breaks from the mold is its approach to mission structure where any option you can come up to solve a problem, the game will support that choice with certain repercussions.

Nine days ago, it was discovered that within copies of “Deus Ex: Human Revolution” for the PC were codes for the OnLive console, in addition to the disc. OnLive is a revolutionary device that allows you to purchase and play digital copies of a game as long as you retain a solid Internet connection. Initially, every gamer was stoked to have another copy of a game they purchased to give to a friend or give it as a gift. Even CEO Steve Perlman of OnLive made a statement saying that, "You can think of this as cloud game meets physical media 1.0," he said. "This first version doesn't have cross-pollination between your local PC and the cloud."

GameStop realized that people were getting the codes and made the rash decision to send to all their employees this statement via hothardware.com, “Please immediately remove and discard the OnLive coupon from all regular PC versions of ‘Deus Ex: Human Revolution.’ Our desire is to not have this coupon go to any customers after this announcement.” As soon as it was revealed that they were opening new sealed copies of “Deus Ex: Human Revolution,” removing the code and then selling the game as new and un-tampered with, the gaming community reacted with sticks and stones. GameStop attracted negative press over the incident and then they simply just pulled all PC versions of the game.

So then why would GameStop even remove the codes from the PC copies of “Deus Ex: Human Revolution” in the first place? Gamestop released a statement, “regarding the ‘Deus Ex: Human Revolution’ OnLive Codes: We don't make a habit of promoting competitive services (GameStop’s Digital Service called Impulse) without a formal partnership. Square Enix packed the competitor's coupon with our DXHR product without our prior knowledge and we did pull these coupons.”  This didn’t quell any of the naysayers about GameStop but this is the anarchistic Internet. To me, GameStop had every right to remove the codes even though it bugs me that they sold the opened copies as new. I think they should have had a statement on the box or have someone explain to the general consumer an abridged version of the events.

They also told people that the condition of the discs are still new, even though they were opened, and if an issue presents itself then they will further assist you. Square Enix, the publisher of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, made a reply to GameStop’s actions, “GameStop was not made aware of this inclusion and Square Enix respects the right of GameStop to have final say over the contents of products it sells and to adjust them where they see fit in accordance to their policies.”

Well, it seems like everything is sunshine and rainbows in the video game industry between publishers and retailers, but the consumers are still a little ticked off. Sound off in the comments who you think is in the right.

×