Nyjer Morgan making baseball fun again

If you’re a baseball fan and you haven’t been schooled on the subject of “Plushdamentals” yet, then it’s time to climb out of the box that you live in.

Tony Plush — the on-field alter ego of rowdy Brewers outfielder Nyjer Morgan —has become a fan favorite in Milwaukee for his hilarious post-game interviews, equally as funny Twitter account (@TheRealTPlush) and disturbing yet amusing tendency to refer to himself in the third person.

Plush is Morgan’s so-called "gentleman's name," and I think it juxtaposes quite nicely against the outfielder’s many other self-given aliases — which include but are not limited to Mr. Eezzy Brezzy, Mr. Gotta B Startin Somthin, Mr. Professional and Tony Tombstone.

While Morgan may want you to believe that Plush is a gentleman, he is anything but. He talks smack — “Letz take tha series!!! And put tha birds 2 rest!!!” he tweets of the most recent set with the rival Cardinals — and cuts off post-game interviews mid-sentence, simply telling the audience and the reporter, “I’m out!”

Normally, this sort of egotistical, childish behavior is not something that would sit well with me. But Plush, and Morgan, has been backing up his shenanigans all season long.

For starters, you’ll be hard pressed to find a guy that competes with more hustle and energy than Morgan. The 31-year-old plays the game like a cracked-out Little Leaguer. He runs into walls to chase down fly balls. He plays up the crowd after spectacular catches. He goes hard on the base paths.

All in all Morgan, a former Major Junior level hockey player, plays the game with an aggressiveness that is unparalleled by anyone else in the league.

There’s something to be said about Morgan’s fire, too. While many traditionalists claim that hijinks such as those displayed by Morgan last September as a Washington National, when he sparked a bench-clearing brawl with the Marlins, are bad for the game, I’ll have to respectfully disagree with that notion. After all, who doesn’t like to watch an old-fashioned brawl every once in a while?

Morgan is unafraid to defend his reputation and his teammates out on the diamond. While at times this causes him to be a little reckless, what else do you expect from a guy who created an alter ego for himself? You’ve got to take the good with the bad.

And ultimately, Morgan’s monkey business is good for the game of baseball.

It’s not just Morgan’s off-the-field antics that have thrust him into the media spotlight this season, though. A career .289 hitter, Morgan has been swinging a big stick for the NL Central-leading Brewers this season. Through Tuesday, he is batting .313 with four home runs (which account for half of his career total) and 33 RBIs.

He has proven himself to be a reliable offensive threat alongside All-Stars Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun, even landing on the Aug. 29 cover of Sports Illustrated with the two.

It’s unfortunate that the nation is just now starting to pay attention to Morgan, as he has been entertaining baseball diehards since 2008.  I myself have been a Morgan fan since his time with the Pittsburgh Pirates and the genesis of “Morgantown,” which is what he called his left field area.

In Milwaukee, Fielder can hit balls to the moon. Braun entrances the ladies with his devilishly good looks. But it’s Nyjer Morgan/Tony Plush that will make the Brewers one of the most interesting teams to watch come playoff time. Who else is shooting phantom arrows from the dugout and claiming that they “tickle” hits through the infield? No one.

And with the Giants a long shot to make it back to October, the “Fear the Beard” phenomenon is so last year. We fans need a new motto to adapt.

It’s time to, as Morgan says, “Fear tha Beer!!!”

Reach the columnist at kyle.j.newman@asu.edu

×