Osweiler credits O-line for successful night

IT PAYS OFF: Senior wide Receiver Aaron Pflugrad heads for the end zone during the Sun Devils’ win over Mizzou on Friday. Pflugrad’s success this season is attributed to the hard work the senior put in over the summer. (Photo by Lisa Bartoli)

The postgame celebration following the ASU football team’s emotionally-charged overtime victory against Missouri was one to remember.

Minutes after the then-No. 21 Tigers’ overtime fourth down conversion failed, the No. 22 Sun Devils (2-0) gathered in the north end zone for the traditional Sparky’s Pitchfork Stab, typically given to the player with the most impactful night.

ASU junior quarterback Brock Osweiler was given the trident at first.

But rather than keeping it for himself, an honor he deserved after a 353-yard passing performance — or passing it to redshirt senior wide receiver Aaron Pflugrad, who caught eight balls for 180 yards — Osweiler gave it to the front five that made his stellar night possible.

“The pitchfork went to the entire offensive line,” he said. “I wasn’t touched all night; we were able to do what we did offensively because of how the offensive line played. I wanted those guys to get all the recognition for that.”

But of course, all five players couldn’t stab the end zone with the trident, so redshirt senior center Garth Gerhart performed the tradition with his team encircled around him and the nearly sold out Sun Devil Stadium still buzzing.

“He’s one of our captains and the leader of the offensive line,” Osweiler said. “I gave it to him to represent the whole line.”

Pflugrad’s offseason paying off ASU senior wide receivers Gerell Robinson and Mike Willie stole the headlines heading into the 2011 Sun Devil season. And for good reason.

Both are 6-foot-4 and weigh into the 200s. They have the look of traditional pass catchers.

But although both will still likely have very productive seasons, through the first two games of year, the ASU offense through the air has run through Pflugrad.

He has 230 total yards and four touchdowns after just two games.

But for his coach and his quarterback who saw him workout throughout the spring and summer, none of Pflugrad’s success comes as a surprise.

“What Aaron did this offseason was something I’ve never seen from a football player in my life,” Osweiler said. “He’s a robot, I call him ‘little machine.’”

Osweiler said Pflugrad didn’t miss any optional practices the entire offseason and often called or texted for additional unorganized route running drills.

That, along with his upbringing, is now paying huge dividends for ASU.

“There’s a lot to be said about him being raised as a coach’s son; everything he does is to become a great football player,” Erickson said. “He’s not what you see a lot physically, but he’s a playmaker. He doesn’t get caught up about himself and that’s refreshing nowadays.”

Injury update ASU redshirt senior offensive lineman Aderious Simmons missed the Missouri game after spraining his ankle against UC Davis.

He hasn’t practiced since and might miss Saturday’s game against Illinois too.

“He’s still out for now,” Erickson said. “I don’t know if he’ll play.”

Sophomore defensive end Davon Coleman made three tackles against the Tigers, including one for a three-yard loss, but suffered a sprained ankle later in the game.

Erickson said he’s expected to be able to play Saturday.

Reach the reporter at tyler.emerick@asu.edu Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×