Michelle Bachmann, while visiting Arizona last week, talked to Sheriff Joe Arpaio with the hope of getting an endorsement for the upcoming GOP presidential primaries.

Bachmann is one of many conservative candidates in the 2012 presidential race. What contrasts Bachmann to the majority of her opponents is her steadfast belief in Dominionism.

Almost inconceivable, Dominionism is the belief system — almost a theology of sorts — that deems Christianity as the law of the land. More or less, God has endowed in Michelle Bachmann the right to rule.

Rick Perry has joined the bandwagon, and the pair is allied in their ardor for Dominionism, whilst competing for the same position.

This ideology is nothing new; it has been a part of the political sphere for some time. However, the recent vigor behind the theology has a zeal tinged with the Tea Party’s loud declarations.

The introduction of Dominionism in the 2012 presidential election is in direct refutation of an equally threatening belief system: Islam.

Considering the prominence of the Middle East in today’s news, this comes as no surprise. According the religioustolerance.org, about 23 percent of all human beings on Earth follow Islam, which is nearly a quarter of our total population.

Don’t assume that Islam is making Dominionism its conquest — followers of the Islamic faith are appreciative of the ability to practice their faith in a country with no religious bounds.

If directions were to change, and U.S. governance became bound by Christian influence, the separation of church and state would no longer exist. Those who practice Islam would vocalize their discontent because of the attitudes that Dominionism holds towards the religion.

For those unconvinced, you need only to turn to current events. A prime example surrounds a group of university and community college students from Santa Ana, Calif., who are undergoing a trial for chargers of misdemeanor after voicing their distaste for Israel last year.

The ten students’ futures are at a halt as they to see whether their speech is protected under the First Amendment.

During a public lecture held by the University of California, Irvine, the Muslim students rallied against the speaker, Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren. He was elaborating on the current state of U.S. and Israeli relations.

While their diction may not have been politically correct, the students were exercising the liberty to voice their opinions, or so they thought.

The trial is still underway, and those students are still on the chopping block. The geographic location is said to be primarily conservative, and avidly support Michelle Bachmann, the Star Tribune said in an article.

That’s hardly coincidental.

The grand scheme conveys that candidates such as Bachmann have clearly drawn a line as to whom they can rally for their cause.

The inclusion of religion in politics is easily the most irrevocable action in an election, and Dominionism may, or may not, play a large part in our future.

Reach the columnist at bemorris@asu.edu

×