Going into a relationship, your heart is always in the right place. There’s passion, kindness and laughter.

What about your head?

Well, that depends. As the romantic relationship grows into a consuming love-fest, family and friends might feel left behind, but do people in relationships stop thinking about work as well?

According to a recent survey on the online dating site Zoosk, 64 percent of single men feel they are more productive at work when they are in a relationship.

Women, however, have more trouble balancing work and relationships. Less than half the women surveyed feel more productive at work when in a relationship.

About 4,500 users of Zoosk responded to the survey, and it shows that it’s possible for a relationship to put people in an altered state of mind.

In any facet of life, it is necessary to find balance with the other components that make up your day.

A relationship should not consume 75 percent of your energy while you leave only 25 percent to be divided among family, friends, school and work.

The problem is that most people tend to put new relationships first. Their head is clouded by misty, romantic thoughts that previously were only saved for the monthly viewing of “The Notebook.”

Feelings of butterflies in your stomach may be exciting, but you can’t let them flutter all day when you’re supposed to be writing a research paper or memo at work.

According to AOL Jobs, one reason why men could be feeling more productive once they are in a relationship is that they typically are the pursuers.

All of their energy is focused on wooing women, so once they successfully land a relationship, their focus can go back to work.

A reason the article says a woman may feel less productive is that she may be anxious about problems in a relationship while the man (how stereotypical) is oblivious to any issues.

Yes, these presumptions are rather bold, but they do translate to how we view relationships in the media.

Men are constantly on the prowl until they find a catch while women are desperate to have a deep connection and will give up anything to be with their soul mate.

I find it disheartening that as a woman, people might think my productivity will go down as soon as I enter a romantic relationship, which is simply not true.

In past relationships, I have never sacrificed my school or work responsibilities; in fact, it has made me strive to succeed.

Understanding that being in a relationship does not suddenly give you tunnel vision is important to employers, but you have to actively break that stereotype, man or woman.

Don’t let a relationship take over your life.

Reach the columnist at tafergu1@asu.edu

×