Spirit Captains extend to Downtown campus

GETTING PUMPED:  Journalism freshmen and spirit captains, Taylor McCulley, Nicole Barrett, Patrick Wagner, Court Jeffrey, and Alex Gaskin (from left to right) hang decorations in the Taylor Place dining hall Wednesday night in anticipation for the Friday blackout game. (Photo by Lillian Reid)
GETTING PUMPED: Journalism freshmen and spirit captains, Taylor McCulley, Nicole Barrett, Patrick Wagner, Court Jeffrey, and Alex Gaskin (from left to right) hang decorations in the Taylor Place dining hall Wednesday night in anticipation for the Friday blackout game. (Photo by Lillian Reid)

The Spirit Captains, one of ASU’s largest school-spirit organizations, opened a Downtown campus chapter this semester in an effort to “infect our population with Sparky Spirit,” the new branch president said.

The initiative to extend the Tempe-based club was spearheaded by president and journalism freshman Taylor McCulley with the help of journalism senior Nate McWhortor.

The Downtown campus has sold a higher percentage of football season tickets this fall than any other ASU campus, despite a reputation for a lack of school spirit, McWhortor said. The campus has also seen more attendance at away-game viewing parties than any other campus, he said.

“We’re here to make history,” McCulley said. “The dedicated and incredible students involved in the Downtown Phoenix Spirit Captains are the very people who will make this program successful.”

The Spirit Captains wear gold each Friday, and often wear maroon and gold every other day of the week as well. They decorate the residence halls and ensure that every student is aware of every game day. The Spirit Captains group is a division of the Game Day Initiative, a University effort that began last year to boost student attendance at sporting events.

“This is an important club because I feel like it allows those of us with more spirit to put that spirit to use (in a way) that isn’t violent or destructive, while benefiting the community at the Downtown Phoenix campus,” journalism freshman and Spirit Captain member Patrick Wagner said.

With 24 members, the Downtown chapter is one-third the size of the Tempe club, McCulley said. The group is still accepting newcomers.

The Downtown chapter of the Spirit Captains has a spirited leadership pairing in McCulley and McWhortor, McCulley said.

“I hope to reach his level of spirit, dedication to ASU and love for everything maroon and gold by the time I graduate from this astounding university,” McCulley said. “West and Polytechnic do not have their own Spirit Captain chapters, but they definitely should.”

Reach the reporter at apmccull@asu.edu

×