Top five best used songs in television

5. “Surfin’ Bird” by The Trashmen

Used in: “Family Guy”

Peter Griffin got his hands on a “Surfin’ Bird” record from the ‘60s, annoying his family and neighbors by repeating it over and over. Although the lines “A-well-a, bird, bird, bird, well, the bird is the word” and “Papa-ooma-mow-mow” are annoying, the song is also insanely catchy. “Family Guy” is known to use repetition in its episodes to make humor prominent, and the use of The Trashmen’s song was essentially par for the course. It was undeniably funny though, and there’s no doubt the song will be stuck in your head every time you hear it.

4. “Forever” by Chris Brown

Used in: “The Office”

As “Office” fans will recall, Jim and Pam’s wedding day was a bit hectic for the bride. However, as the guests had finally settled in and the groom was waiting for the love of his life to walk down the aisle, the newlyweds-to-be were given a surprise. Jim and Pam’s coworkers at Dunder Mifflin had seen the “JK Wedding Entrance Dance” video on YouTube, set to the song “Forever” by Chris Brown, and reenacted it for all to see. Also showing during the scene was a heartwarming flashback of what the couple embarked on just before the official ceremony.

3. “Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey

Used in: “The Sopranos”

During the final scene in the series finale of “The Sopranos,” the hit Journey song played over the jukebox at a diner while Tony Soprano met with his family. No one spoke during that last scene, but the song continued to play until the screen cut to black and the song abruptly stopping with the phrase "don't stop.” The show brought this classic back from its rock ‘n’ roll grave.

2. “Breathe Me” by Sia

Used in: “Six Feet Under”

This one’s a tearjerker. In an episode of “Six Feet Under,” the song “Breathe Me” by Australian jazz-pop singer Sia can be heard over a montage of events playing. In the montage, all facets of life were experienced, encompassing a great deal of what the show was about. However, even newcomers who don’t have an extensive knowledge of the characters’ lives might tear up a bit. Sia’s track intensified Claire’s departure from town and the death of Nate with its deep piano and light lyrics.

1. “How to Save a Life” by The Fray Used in: “Scrubs”

At Sacred Heart Hospital, Dr. Cox (John C. McGinley) made an honest mistake when he gave rabies-infested organs of one deceased patient to multiple patients in need. As The Fray’s piano-enriched song began to play, J.D. (Zach Braff) narrated and explained how each patient died one by one, with Dr. Cox blaming himself. McGinley’s performance was an emotional one, with tears and goose bumps a common occurrence while watching the scene.

Reach the reporter at kmstark1@asu.edu

×