White House to honor ASU professor

Professor Roy Levy will be awarded the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers.

Roy Levy

Courtesy of Roy Levy

An ASU professor who specializes in research on data analysis was chosen this week as a recipient of a White House award that honors scientists and engineers at the beginning of their careers.

Roy Levy of the School of Social and Family Dynamics was one of 94 researchers picked to receive the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers. The annual award, started by President Bill Clinton, honors researchers who have already made a difference in their young careers, according to a White House press release.

Sixteen federal agencies and departments pick the awardees. Levy was the only award recipient chosen by the Department of Education.

“I was elated to hear about it,” said Richard Fabes, director of the School of Social and Family Dynamics. “It’s really a feather in the cap for both Dr. Levy and ASU.”

Levy received the award for his scholarly activities, especially his research focusing on new statistical techniques for analyzing data taken in innovative assessments, he said in an email.

Innovative assessments, Levy said, take place in complex environments and target multiple skills. He is working along with other educators across the globe on developing statistical tools to draw inferences from the results of these assessments.

“It is inspiring to see the innovative work being done by these scientists and engineers as they ramp up their careers — careers that I know will be not only personally rewarding but also invaluable to the nation,” Obama said in a White House press release.

Levy said he hoped to meet those expectations later in his career.

“I don’t really think in terms of career goals, but I hope that my work promotes knowledge, learning and improved practice,” Levy said.

He went on to say that he hoped to produce research that improves the field of data analysis and to have a good impact on his students.

Levy also thanked his colleagues for the award, which he will receive at a White House ceremony.

“Such collaborations (with my colleagues) have produced some of my best work, and even my individual work can be traced to interactions I’ve had with colleagues,” Levy said. “So this recognition of me is also a recognition (of) those I am fortunate enough to work with.”

Reach the reporter at julia.shumway@asu.edu or follow @JMShumway on Twitter

×