Women’s golf gives up big lead, places second

NOT QUITE THERE: Senior Giulia Molinaro drives the ball off the tee during last season’s PING/ASU Invitational. Despite solid performances by Molinaro and sophomore Justine Lee, the women’s golf team slid to seventh in the Stanford Intercollegiate over the weekend. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Mixed emotions ruled the day for the ASU Women’s Golf team at the Dale McNamara Invitational.

While senior Giulia Molinaro dominated the field all three rounds, shooting an impressive 8-under–par 210, Oklahoma State roared back from a 21-stroke deficit on the third and final day to win the team title with an unheard-of 13-under-par 275.

Despite the Cowboys topping them in the end, the Sun Devils dominated the field for two rounds, being the only team under par heading into the final day.

ASU’s underclassman showed a lot of talent, with sophomores Justine Lee and Daniela Ordonez finishing in the top ten and freshman Noemi Jimenez, who challenged for the top ten all week but fell back to finish tied for 19th in her ASU debut.

The difference in class between the top two teams and the rest of field was very apparent. Northwestern, the third place finisher, was ten strokes back from ASU with a 19-over-par 883. Ten teams finished more than 40 strokes over par.

The finishing hole was a thorn in the Sun Devil’s side. ASU surrendered a combined ten strokes to the 382-yard par-4 18th hole, which required a long second shot over a ravine to a bunker-guarded green.

The hole even got the best of Molinaro, who was untouchable for almost the entire tournament. Her triple bogey on 18 during the final round was one of the few difficulties the champion had. Molinaro recorded an outstanding 15 birdies and an eagle to kick off her college season after an all-conference performance last year.

The tournament was named after ASU head coach Melissa Luellen’s mother who she played under at the University of Tulsa. It was the second annual edition of the tournament with the Sun Devils making their first appearance, since last year they were unable to play in the fall with only three players on the roster.

Reach the reporter at jjmkelv@asu.edu

×