‘Arrested Development’ writers confirm one final season

Photo courtesy of Fox
Photo courtesy of Fox

“Arrested Development” has been off the air since early 2006, before its third season could even reach completion. Despite being critically acclaimed and winning multiple Emmy Awards, “Arrested Development” didn’t quite hit it home with Americans in the mid-2000s. However, the comedy has since developed and maintained a cult following and is more popular than ever before.

It has recently been announced — to the overwhelming joy of all “Arrested Development” lovers — that one more season will be shot and aired before the release of the much-anticipated full-length movie.

Many similar rumors have spread before, bringing instances of disappointment to fans everywhere, but we can finally rejoice this time.

“Yup,” said creator and executive producer, Mitch Hurwitz, confirming the new rumors. That simple three letter response has brought chaos to the minds of “Arrested Development” followers.

This confirmation has put questions into the minds of fans. What will the new season be about? How will it lead into the movie? What has happened in the lives of the Bluth family since we last saw them?

These questions are popping up all over the internet, but they will be answered soon enough. As for now, the cast and crew are keeping the majority of information under wraps, but we do know a few things.

The limited-season series will consist of up to 10 episodes, each focusing on a different main character. Each will inform the audience of the characters’ whereabouts of the past six years.

Since we last saw the actors, awkward teen Michael Cera has transformed into an awkward 20-something. Jason Bateman, Will Arnett and Portia de Rossi have also changed a lot since the show was on air from 2003-2006.

The short series is definitely necessary. Without it, the film would have no prelude and the audience could potentially be very lost. Either that, or the first half of the movie would be catching us up on the Bluth family, leaving a limited amount of time for the actual storyline.

Hopefully the characters still have strong chemistry and quick wit, but that shouldn’t be too much of a problem with the excellence of “Arrested Development” writers and cast. There’s worry and excitement surrounding the news, with publicists having announced an early 2013 release date.

In all honesty, as long as Gob Bluth (Will Arnett) can maintain his uncomfortable quirkiness in the new season and movie, consider me a happy camper.

Reach the reporter at kmstark1@asu.edu

×