Art in HD

Photo courtesy Charles Rice.
Photo courtesy Charles Rice.

In a spacious corner gallery in Tempe, you will find a concoction of talent by seniors graduating from Arizona State University's Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts.

Called "Human Definition,” the exhibition at ASU's Step Gallery highlights the dedicated work and talent of six artists graduating with a Bachelor's of Fine Arts this December.

This group exhibition is appealing not only as a capstone of hard work, but also as a tantalizing mixture of different art majors.

Four of the artists studied intermedia. And if you're a little confused on what that exactly means, you're in the same shoes the students who have now mastered the concept of the art once were. The program is interdisciplinary, working as a fusion of performance, video, sound, animation and other creative capabilities.

Charles Rice, an intermedia-focused senior, created the logo "HD," which perfectly captures the mix of majors, from contemporary video performance to artwork that requires more of a human touch: prints, sculptures, monotypes, etc.

Rice thought about doing film for a time because of his attraction to video, which he was able to incorporate in the intermedia program.

“I really liked the new, modern types of work people do as opposed to the traditional aspects of the art field.  I found it to be a lot more exciting for me,” Rice says.

In the gallery, you will see a bold inkjet print that screams for your attention, with Rice himself as the subject of the photograph. Turn to the adjacent wall and you will find a piece of his work that involves video and sound – and ultimately a performance that features (who else?) the artist himself. Rice transforms from one picture and video to another, an elusive character in his own tour de force.

The other intermedia artists are Tracy Fairfield, Lauren Lentini and Thomas Greyeyes. The remaining two students are printmakers, who have learned techniques such as screen-printing, papermaking, intaglio and other methods during their student careers.

Printmaker Hannah Langmade was originally interesting in drawing but then fell in love with the art of print.

“What really sealed the deal is I took a photogravure class,” Langmade says.

Scratching your head again? Photogravure is an ancient, meticulous process that involves etching images into copper plates. It closely coincides with the birth of photography and respected with as much expertise.

Langmade delves into the consuming detail this technique requires but loves it for the unmatched and quaintly beautiful product you get at the end.

As serious about roller derby as she is about art, she gets a lot of her artistic inspiration from her favorite sport and pastime.

“There’s roller derby and then there’s everything else,” Langmade says.

The other printmaker is Hayley Cook, who displays a series of absorbing monotypes in the exhibition.

Take a tour, soak it up, but don’t miss it: The exhibit is open until Oct. 7. You will find it in Gallery 100 of the Step Gallery, located on the southeast corner of Mill Avenue and University Drive, close to Sacks.

Contact reporter at mfidura@asu.edu

×