Basketball upbeat during media day

FRESH START: The ASU men’s basketball team poses for photos during media day on Wednesday. The Sun Devils have are hoping to capitalize on the new season after a less-than-stellar campaign last year. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

ASU men’s basketball coach Herb Sendek said every team has a sense of new beginnings this time of year.

His players were all smiles during media day at Wells Fargo Arena Wednesday.

They’re ready for a fresh start, too. The Sun Devils hope this next chapter isn’t a replica of last season’s 12-19 record, the worst mark since 2006.

“We finished last in the Pac-10 so the only way to go right now is up,” junior forward Trent Lockett said.

Lockett earned second-team All-Pac-10 honors last season and led the team with 13.4 points per game, but the Sun Devils have to find a way to replace No. 2, 3 and 4 on that list.

The trio of Ty Abbott, Rihards Kuksiks and Jamelle McMillan graduated with 80 wins during their careers — the most by any seniors in ASU history.

The Sun Devils don’t have a senior on the roster but they also don’t have seven new players. Instead, ASU returns seven players along with Lockett that averaged 10 minutes or more per game last season.

“Having less newcomers and coached more of our returning players, I think the coaches have just a better feel for our team than we could of possibly had a year ago with so many new guys coming in,” Sendek said.”

The team begins its first team practice on Friday. The coaching staff will have a few weeks to make personnel adjustments to its motion offense and 2-3 matchup zone before the season starts Nov. 11 against Montana State, including an exhibition at Grand Canyon University on Nov. 5.

“This time of year, you tend to be a collection of individuals and the challenge is to become a team,” Sendek said. “The next several weeks of preseason will be key in accomplishing that.”

Carson still not cleared

There was one player noticeably absent from media day festivities.

The NCAA has not academically cleared freshman point guard Jahii Carson.

Carson, who is arguably one of the best — if not the best — in-state prospects ever for the Sun Devils (which is No. 33 in the nation, according to Rivals.com) cannot participate in team activities until he’s ruled eligible by the NCAA Clearinghouse.

Along with media day, the Mesa High alumnus has not participated in team workouts or individual skill sessions with coaches. Carson could potentially miss the team’s first practice Friday if he is still not cleared.

“We remain hopeful that he’ll be joining us in the near future,” Sendek said.

According to The Arizona Republic, Carson took an online summer-school course at Adams State College in Alamosa, Colo. The school has not released Carson’s transcript, causing the delay.

Due to federal privacy laws, ASU cannot comment on the specifics of Carson’s eligibility.

“That’s something we can’t worry about. It’s kind of out of our hands,” Lockett said. “The NCAA is taking (its) time with that. All we can work on is getting ready for the season.”

In Carson’s absence, sophomore guard Keala King and junior guard Chris Colvin practiced at point guard for the Sun Devils.

King played a couple of games at point guard last year. Colvin is a junior college transfer from Palm Beach Community College in Florida, who Sendek said has eye-catching quickness.

Reach the reporter at master.tesfatsion@asu.edu

×