When we sit down to write a paper or start a big project for class, it often takes a while for the brilliant thoughts to start flowing.

More often than not we just sit and stare at that cursor blinking on a blank screen. The problem is, this situation is not at all conducive to coming up with creative ideas.

According to a 2005 study in Administrative Science Quarterly, the time your brain needs to come up with a creative idea is called incubation. “Incubation,” according to the study, “is a process of unconscious recombination of thought …  resulting in novel or useful ideas.”

In other words, your brain often comes up with its most creative ideas when you aren’t consciously trying to.

Have you ever come up with a brilliant idea while taking a shower? That is a common example of the incubation process. Perhaps artistic conceptions come to you while walking to school.

Creative thought comes much more easily when we aren’t purposefully trying to be creative. That explains why staring endlessly at a screen waiting for an idea can be a waste of time.

If we stare at a screen for a long time, not only do we become blind, but we also start to feel uninspired. As a result, we get discouraged and start to accept second-rate work.

All ASU students were admitted based on their ability to think critically and do university-level work, so we should constantly push ourselves.

So, this being the case, what can we do to stimulate creative ideas? Try doing an activity that has nothing to do with your schoolwork, but still allows you to be productive.

This way, you are allowing your brain a break from your work, but you aren’t just wasting time waiting around for a great idea to show up.

For example, you could go to the gym, do your laundry, clean your dorm room or run a few errands. An option the University of Maryland Department of Wellness is to “take a walk or do some quick stretches to get the blood flowing to your brain.”

Now that the scorching Arizona temperatures have cooled down, a walk around campus might be just enough physical activity to kick-start your creativity.

Sometimes, brainstorming with a friend or classmate can also be a more efficient way of coming up with creative ideas.

However, it’s important to think through the subject by yourself first and not rely solely on someone else to come up with something.

According to Malcolm Joyce in The Journal of Design and Technical Education, “Sketch your ideas down in isolation and then discuss them in a ‘conference-type’ atmosphere.”

A group brainstorming session will be much more effective if you’ve already given your own ideas some thought and have something to contribute to the group.

The bottom line is, when you’re trying to come up with a creative idea for a paper or project, you can’t force the process and trying to do so will only waste your time.

That being said, you can at least try to set up a situation in which your brain has a better chance of thinking creatively.  Just slow down, step back and allow your brain some time.

Your best ideas will come when you least expect them.

Reach the columnist reached at Emily.Muller@asu.edu

×