In a span of three days, LSU freshman punter Brad Wing was called for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, and UA head coach Mike Stoops was fired.

Slowly but surely, college football is losing its appeal.

Yes, there are still plenty of things to love about college football and it remains my favorite sport, but there are a few things causing it to be boring.

Although Stoops will get another job soon, there is a high probability it will be as a defensive coordinator rather than a head coach. While this may suit him better, it limits his famous sideline antics to only half the game. Many dislike the coach for his constant shouting and jumping, but his enthusiasm and passion are part of what make college football special.

Wing was penalized for celebrating a touchdown and “taunting” his opponent prior to crossing the goal line. Taunting is disrespectful and should not be allowed, but what Wing did was nowhere near disrespectful to the Florida Gators. When players score they get excited, often showing emotions and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Emotions, along with traditions, are what separate the collegiate game from the professional one and there is no need to reduce them or penalize teams for expressing themselves.

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×