The NBA already announced the first two weeks of the season have been canceled, and perhaps the entire season will be lost due to the lockout.

Does the term “lockout” sound familiar? That’s because the NFL locked out their players for the summer. Then, the NFL reached an agreement with the players.

However, the NBA labor negotiations are more drastic than the NFL’s because the majority of NBA owners are somehow losing money.

NBA owners originally wanted to make sweeping changes to the league with the inclusion of a hard salary cap, and elimination of guaranteed contracts — things the NFL already has done.

On the court, last season’s NBA playoffs were a hit when Dirk knocked off Miami’s “Dream Team.” However, I fear an NHL-like backlash if the league doesn’t get their act together and start playing games.

That’s because as a sports fan, my craving for sports could survive without the league altogether.

Football is the top dog right now, and they play games into late January/early February. March is college basketball’s best time of the season with “March Madness.” Then in April baseball starts playing again and the cycle repeats.

×