Twenty-two teams, one champion: the future Conference Mountain West USA Conference.

I would list all of the reasons why this is ridiculous, but the Olympics are coming up next summer, and we don’t want to miss that.

So let’s start with the basics. First congratulations to the football team from the east coast that will now get to travel to Boise, Idaho to compete in a conference game.

Second, this doesn’t help the conference gain automatic qualifying. In fact it hurts both conferences towards that end.

In the determination of which conferences get automatic BCS bids, there is a provision that helps conferences with fewer than nine teams compete with bigger conferences.

So with that logic, the Mountain West, which had a great case for a BCS bid before TCU left, has twice that many teams and is in worse shape now.

The new BCS bids will be determined before the 2014 season.

The third reason is that this is killing college sports.

The new CMW-USAC will include teams from West Virginia, North Carolina, Mississippi, Hawaii, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Wyoming, California, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico and previously mentioned Idaho.

As Bart Scott once said, “Can’t wait!”

×