Fall Frenzy creates a night of nostalgia

THOSE BRIGHT LIGHTS: Mark Hoppus plays Friday night at Fall Frenzy at the Tempe Beach Park. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Check out more photos from the concert in this slideshow.

It was 2001 all over again for Friday night’s crowd at Fall Frenzy held at Tempe Beach Park.

Blink-182 hasn’t aged in the 10 years since their years of “Take Off Your Pants and Jacket.”

On stage, they were making jokes about each other’s mom, cursing uncontrollably and joking about Chewbacca, who made a special appearance on Mark Hoppus’ amp.   

Every girl still wanted Tom DeLonge and every guy still wanted to switch spots with a member of the band. The crowd was littered with Blink-182 shirts and decorated with fake tattoos sprayed on their face and arms.

Blink-182 played four new songs from their latest release “Neighborhoods,” but filled the rest of the hour and a half set with fan favorites such as “Dumpweed,” “What’s My Age Again?,” and “All the Small Things.”

Between each song, the band would joke around on stage and exchange awkward conversation.

“Remember for like five years, we hated each other?” Hoppus joked to DeLonge.

With every song, the crowd jumped up and down, screaming lyrics until their vocal cords were raw.

In the middle of their set, DeLonge went into “Mother’s Day,” pointing the microphone toward the crowd for everyone to fill in the words.

Every audience member lived his or her junior high dream.

The band ended their set with “Dammit,” then teased the crowd by starting another song before screaming how the show was over.

However, the jumping and screaming didn’t start at 9:30 p.m. with Blink-182. Matt and Kim were first in line to get the crowd on their feet.

The duo came out to the Rocky theme song heavily mixed with hip hop beats.

“We’re a band called Matt and Kim and we’re from Brooklyn,” Matt Johnson said.

Their set was 12 songs long and almost an hour full of energy, jumping on drums and throwing balloons into the crowd.

Johnson pulled out a bag of tricks by transitioning each song on their set list into numerous amounts of popular songs, including Ludacris’ “Move B---h,” the Sugar Hill Gang’s “Jump on It,” Biz Markie’s “Just a Friend” and Alice DeeJay’s “Better Off Alone.”

Kim Schifino held a giant smile during the entire set and ran around on stage screaming lyrics with her drumsticks in the air. She handed out a bag of balloons for the crowd to blow up and throw during their set.

“Good Ol’ Fashion Nightmare,” “I Wanna,” and “Lessons Learned” were crowd favorites putting everyone into instant dance mode.

Before their last songs, Schifino went into the crowd and danced on a platform of hands created by the audience while Johnson pounded away on the piano.

Johnson had a special thanks to local brewery Four Peaks’ signature brew Kiltlifter, and said, “They’re not sponsoring this but I’m loving it.”

They ended with a huge thanks to the crowd and entered into the piano intro for “Daylight.”

Although the Honda Civic Tour didn’t include My Chemical Romance, who protested the Arizona stop because of Senate Bill 1070, local heroes Jimmy Eat World put on a great show for their home state.

Jim Adkins didn’t speak much to the crowd throughout the hour-long set but instead played favorites “The Middle,” “Bleed American,” and new song “Coffee and Cigarettes.”

Local solo artist Courtney Marie Andrews added her sweet touch on piano and vocals during “Hear You Me.”

Their 18-song, hour-long set brought a special bond throughout the crowd. After being on the road for a year, Jimmy Eat World saved the best for last with “Sweetness.”

Reach the reporter at mpareval@asu.edu

×