Maroon and Gamer: A Love-Hate Relationship of Movies, Video Games

Over the past couple of decades, Hollywood has been trying to adapt videogames into feature length films. This usually comes at the detriment of the actors in the roles, directors involved and the franchise the film was based on. Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Super Mario Bros., BloodRayne, Postal, House of the Dead, Dungeon Siege etc, are only a handful of films based on videogames that have met with mixed and often very negative reception from critics and fans. But why is it so difficult to make a videogame movie? One reason could be that video games are often longer than their film counterparts and have more time to discuss and explain what is going on for the player. The casual moviegoer probably doesn’t want to sit and watch something that is the equivalent, in length, of watching a Bollywood film

Recently, kotaku discovered a blog entry about the latest adaptation of the game franchise, Mass Effect, and how it is being developed into a movie. This was reported on by ign.com and they confirmed that, “Legendary Pictures says the movie won't be based on any particular Mass Effect game -- "It will be a completely new story." I for one am pleased that they aren’t following the adventures of the videogame. Following Commander Sheppard is what the games have done and the Mass Effect universe is rich enough to include a variety of stories proven by the books and graphic novels. One thing that does kind of irk me, as a fan of the franchise, is that Seth Green will not play Joker, also confirmed in the article. Joker was the pilot of the ship that you traveled in during your adventures in Mass Effect 1 & 2. I do not oppose taking creative liberties with franchises but the personality of Joker really stemmed from the delivery of Seth Green.

I think that Hollywood has to walk a fine line when making video game movies. They can’t make it strictly for the fans of the game or else the general populace will have no idea what is going on but you can’t move so far away from the franchise that the fans end up hating it because it doesn’t resemble the spirit and soul of the game. Super Mario Bros. is a perfect example of a movie that moved so far away from the game that it was panned in nearly every way by the: actors, critics, fans and even Nintendo wished that movie never existed. But Silent Hill took enough creative liberties to resemble the game but told a story non-fans could understand.

I believe that Hollywood has to approach potential video game movies with the same respect that recent comic book movies have gotten. You have to contact someone who understands the franchise and is willing to tell a story. Four years ago, Neil Blomkamp, director of District 9, made a short movie to promote Halo 3’s release. As a fan of the franchise, it really showed me and everyone else Halo’s potential to be a full-length feature film.

Sound off in the comments, or email me, with your opinions on video game films.

×