National spotlight again travels to Oregon

THE BIG ONE: ASU junior quarterback Brock Osweiler celebrates with the student section after the Sun Devils’ OT win over Missouri on Sept. 9. Saturday’s game against Oregon is shaping up to be the biggest regular-season game of the year. (Photo by Lisa Bartoli)

Autzen Stadium is where Brock Osweiler got his launch.

But there are no warm memories from the experience.

Instead, it’s a game he looks back on with hindsight and the knowledge he has now.

In 2009, as a true freshman quarterback, Osweiler got the first start of his career in Oregon against the No. 13 Ducks.

After completing 5-of-10 passes for 14 yards and one interception, Osweiler took a hit that knocked him out of the series.

Then-sophomore Samson Szakacsy took over and Osweiler didn’t return to the game even when he was ready.

The Sun Devils fell 44-21.

“A lot has happened since then,” Osweiler said. “I was a young kid making my first start. It didn’t go how anybody would hope for it to. Now, I’ve played in a few games and I’m really looking forward to the opportunity.”

It’s an opportunity he and the rest of the ASU football team are relishing.

The No. 18 Sun Devils (5-1, 3-0 Pac-12) travel to Eugene Saturday to meet the No. 9 Ducks (4-1, 2-0 Pac-12) with ESPN “College Gameday” on campus for the marquee matchup.

“All we’ve been doing is watching ‘Gameday’ and now we’ll be involved in it,” ASU coach Dennis Erickson said. “That’s what you play for and that’s what the (players) are here for. It’s exciting for all of us.”

Osweiler isn’t the only one haunted by the Ducks though.

ASU hasn’t defeated UO since 2004, with each loss since coming by more than 11 points.

In 2007, the Sun Devils traveled to Autzen Stadium with an unblemished record of 8-0. Ranked No. 4 in the BCS, ASU fell to the No. 5 Ducks on national television 35-23. The Sun Devils had to tie for first in the Pac-10 with USC that year, but lost the head-to-head tiebreaker.

Last year, however, the Sun Devils put up a strong fight.

The Ducks won 42-31 en route to a Pac-10 title, but ASU shot itself in the foot with seven turnovers in the game.

“Having that game tape is vital, I know I’m going at look at it a lot,” Osweiler said. “We need to learn what killed us and that was turnovers.”

The Sun Devils have been much better in that area so far in 2011.

They’ve forced 17 turnovers in their last four games while giving up seven of their own.

“We want to be feared,” senior safety Eddie Elder said. “As a defense we should be able to get them.”

The only problem for the Sun Devils recently has been their tepid starts.

They fell behind 13-0 against Oregon State, and 7-0 against Utah.

“We can’t always start off slow,” Elder said. “We have to be the ones that punch the offense in the mouth.”

For ASU to pull off the upset, the team will have to deal with the constant speed the Ducks throw out.

Even though its star running back, LaMichael James, will likely not play Saturday, UO features plenty of talented athletes with lighting quick moves.

At the helm of the offense is junior quarterback Darron Thomas, who has 15 touchdowns and only two interceptions on the season.

“He’s great,” redshirt junior cornerback Deveron Carr said. “I watched a play where he crossed read the whole field, all five threats, and completed it to the last one.  He’s dangerous.”

With a win, the Sun Devils not only would receive gobs of national attention, but they’d set themselves up for potentially hosting the Pac-12 championship game in Tempe.

“This team has no quit and we’ve set very high goals,” Osweiler said. “It’s Rose Bowl.”

The game can be seen on ESPN at 7:15 p.m, and "College Gameday" featuring ASU and Oregon is on at 7 a.m., also on ESPN.

Reach the reporter at tyler.emerick@asu.edu

×