Over the past year, rising star Miles Teller’s acting career has skyrocketed. He more than held his own in his first feature film “Rabbit Hole” and provided plenty of laughs for his role as the redneck friend in “Footloose.” The actor, whom “The Hangover” director Jon Lucas describes as “the comedic engine,” continues to show his natural comedic talent in the upcoming “21 and Over.” In an on-set interview, Teller described his own experiences on turning 21, his views on comedy and why he regrets sporting that mullet.

The State Press: How would you describe your character in “21 and Over”?

Miles Teller: F---ing awesome. There are no consequences for his actions. He seriously says whatever he wants, and there are no real repercussions in his mind. And yeah, it’s his buddy’s 21st birthday, so he’s just trying to make sure that (they) all have a really good time. He kind of instigates a lot of the problems that befall the characters. Certainly three years ago, this is probably the closest character to my own personality that I’ve ever played.

SP: Was your 21st just as wild?

MT: My 21st birthday … Eight of my friends all flew in (to New York) from Florida, and we all wore t-shirts that my mom made with my face on it wearing a crown and a 21st birthday chain. We walked around New York just causing havoc and seriously drinking ‘til 7 in the morning on a subway the next day. But I didn’t pass out because that would be quitting.

SP: What were the challenges in playing this role?

MT: Acting is very challenging, especially with comedy when you’re doing the same lines ten times in a row and every time you have to find a different spin on it. Comedy is a lot more in the moment, (and) it’s a lot more impromtu. Being funny is hard, man. But then I realize that you know, you just have to relax and do it. If you try too hard, then you’re trying. You just have to find the comedy in the moment. If you try and replicate the last take, it’s probably not going to work. Actually, this character is the most similar to myself, so sometimes I feel like I’m not doing enough.

SP: Do you pull from personal life experience to play your roles?

MT: You’re recreating a human experience. At the time I had shot “Rabbit Hole,” I had actually just lost one of my best friends in a car accident, so I had a lot to pull from for that. And obviously for this movie I party and I enjoy going out to bars. I think everyone can relate to that point in your life when you’re 21. You want to keep it in a capsule. I’m 24 and I look back fondly on being 21, 22 and just trying to keep friendships together.

SP: As an up-and-coming actor, what’s it like to see yourself on-screen?

MT: I don’t watch movies I’m in or I’ll see them once. It’s just hard (for me) to enjoy (it) as an objective bystander. It’s just never going to happen for me. The first time I saw “Rabbit Hole,” I was like, “I have a mullet. Why did I let them do my hair like that?”

SP: What do you hope people take away from “21 and Over”?

MT: I think after reading this script, I wanted to make this movie for the 17-year-old version of myself. Or any other 17-year-old who’s seeing their first rated R comedy. I hope that people leave being able to relate with what it’s like after high school when your friends kind of drift apart and you wonder if you’re going to stay friends or if (they) were only your friends because (they) lived 5 houses down. Also, (I hope people see) there’s a bunch of funny sh-- in the movie.

Reach the reporter at mgrichar@asu.edu

×