Ryan Adams returns from two-year hiatus with ‘Ashes & Fire’

RA_Ashes_CVR_12x12.qxd:Layout 1
Courtesy of PAX-AM/Capitol Records

‘Ashes & Fire’

3 out of 5 Pitchforks

Pax-AM/Capitol Records

Released: Oct. 11

For Ryan Adams, two years is a long time to stay away from music. Between recording his own studio albums and assisting other musicians in their musical productions, Adams has always managed to keep himself busy in the musical realm. After taking two years off, he has finally returned with an emotional new album. Adams must have had a contemplative vacation with the way he pours himself into each track.

Adams sought the help of famous producer Glyn Jones, who has worked with bands like The Rolling Stones, The Who, and even The Beatles, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ keyboardist Benmont Tench and vocal contributions from Norah Jones and Adams’ wife, Mandy Moore.

Despite all this extra help, the album remains simple. Each instrument is played softly and subtle strings and percussion can be heard faintly behind his voice.

The first song on the album, “Dirty Rain,” is a proper introduction. It is smooth and forceful without having to pound out guitar chords. The song is inviting and will draw the listener in like a siren call.

The next song, titled “Ashes & Rain,” sounds like a Bob Dylan-inspired folk song. With some country twang, the song is perhaps the most light-hearted sounding one on the entire album.

“Do I Wait” begins slow, but eventually reaches an apex when Adams repeats the question, “Do I wait? / Do I wait for you?” over fierce and passionate electric guitar riffs.

“Lucky Now” is undeniably the gem of the album. “I don’t remember / Were we wild and young? / All that’s faded in a memory,” he sings in the first line. The nostalgic tune dedicated to Adams’ deceased bandmate, Chris Feinstein, will not only tug at your heartstrings, but rip them out completely. It is impossible not to feel an emotional attachment to a song that reminiscences on a time of pain and hopelessness. The song is short-lived at only 2:56 long, but is still the most rewarding track.

Although there are songs that are truly fantastic on the album, some songs do not stand out and serve as mere transitions to the next song. “Rocks” and “Chains of Love” are fairly dull and have such a slow pace that it is hard to find patience to listen to them all the way through.

Ryan Adams still pleases the ears of listeners with a tuneful and calming album. As a whole, it is heartbreaking and meditative. Although it might be a little too dramatic at times, it is still as soulful as one would hope for from the singer-songwriter.

True Adams fans know how dark most of his work can be, with some of his albums he has written having been rejected by labels for being too depressing. “Ashes & Fire” just sneaks by; it is melancholic, yet absolutely satisfying.

Reach the reporter at jocelyn.gee@asu.edu

×