Viva Voce released their sixth studio album this past June and naturally went on tour. Being one of the few bands that can actually capture the groove and atmosphere of a life on the road, Viva Voce returns to the Rhythm Room on Wednesday night.

As the band took part in their regular pilgrimage to SXSW in Austin, Texas, fans at the show earlier this year at The Sail Inn in Tempe will remember hearing several live performances of songs from their then forthcoming album.

The new album, “The Future Will Destroy You,” is ten solid tracks of the distinct sound that has come to define Viva Voce and hearing them live only proves this.

The duo, husband and wife Anita and Kevin Robinson from Portland, Ore., do more than just rock and roll on stage. They fill the room and lift the roof as Kevin pounds away on drums and Anita shreds the guitar with precision while offering her soft melodic vocals in stark contrast.

Through the years, a number of their songs have proven to thrill longtime fans while also snaring a few new comers. Tracks like “Lucky Ones” and “The Center of the Universe” from the album “The Heat Can Melt Your Brain” are always a treat. “Wrecking Ball” from “Lovers, Lead the Way!” is an instant showstopper as the two swing their proverbial wrecking ball through the speakers and into your ears.

However, it seemed that since the band’s release of “Get Yr Blood Sucked Out” that they might be striving for something more, which was a delightful proposition for both new and old fans.

“The Future Will Destroy You” only strengthens this point as the two are obviously crafting tracks — and albums — with more focus on offering a complete package for listeners. Earlier works seemed more atmospheric and jam band-esque, and while their later material still holds to these principles, the tracks specifically from “The Future Will Destroy You” represent a more polished and condensed offering for listeners.

In fact, several tracks from the album look to hint at an extended offering when played live — most notably, “The Wondering Soul.” On the album, the song surprisingly stops at the four-and-a-half minute mark, but the possibilities of what can be done when played live are nearly limitless.

One of the band’s strongest features is their ability to make playing a fantastic live show easy. If your Wednesday night plans aren’t set in stone, showing up to absorb the jams of some true road warriors is an option worth considering.

Though the title “The Future Will Destroy You” seems daunting, don’t be fooled. These are songs of strength and perseverance through the good times and the bad. They give an invigorating performance that will please any crowd — and they just might rock your socks.

Reach the reporter at jbfortne@asu.edu

×