In the national media spotlight this week, you may have seen that six Phi Mu sorority sisters at the University of Southern Mississippi were placed on probation by their sorority because of their party costumes. Hold the presses.

No — seriously — why is this newsworthy? It’s because the women, all white, dressed up as the six members of the Huxtable family from NBC’s “The Crosby Show” at a ‘80’s-themed party, according to The Associated Press.

And this costume apparently included blackface, a severely controversial implication.

However, according to press releases from university officials, the female students obviously meant no harm.

“Though it is clear that these women had no ill intent,” USM Dean of Students Eddie Holloway told The Associated Press, “it was also clear that they had little cultural awareness or competency, and did not understand the historical implication of costuming in blackface.”

USM Vice President of Student Affairs Joe Paul echoed this to The Associated Press as well: “Though clearly without overt intent, this photo was offensive, insensitive and regrettable.”

But accidental racism never fails to receive an audience. And the USM incident is by no means an isolated occurrence.

In September, four white female ASU students made national news for painting themselves black for the “blackout” football game against Missouri.

Boyce Watkins, a professor at Syracuse University and founder of Your Black World Coalition, wrote a Sept. 10 article for yourblackworld.com about the incident.

Watkins viewed the episode as an outrageously racist action, naturally resulting from the influence of a disturbingly ignorant university and a notoriously bigoted state. “Arizona State University should be embarrassed for this behavior,” Watkins wrote, but claimed that the “disgusting” event likely only made the school officials “proud.”

Watkins says this despite acknowledging the fact that the students indisputably did not realize the implications of their actions, and that the black paint was not a deliberate act of disrespect or hatred, but simply the result of lacking racial sensitivity. In fact, it was an act of celebration and pride.

He would have you believe the ASU women represent the manifestation of racism and everything wrong with our state, because of their treacherous crime of racial insensitivity.

But this is the very goal of anti-racism: Race shouldn’t matter in an egalitarian society.

Watkins is doing nothing more than stoking the fires of racial tensions, making a mountain out of a molehill. Not only was it unnecessary but also incredibly irresponsible. The students had no intention of conveying a racist message, yet Watkins insists on vilifying and chastising them as racists.

True, the historical implications of blackface are offensive. We’ve seen Spike Lee’s “Bamboozled” and read the history books. Minstrel shows are disgusting, and people who engage in humor at the expense of dehumanizing a race should not be tolerated.

But intent matters most. Unfortunately racism is still a serious issue, especially in Southern states like Mississippi. Thus it is even more crucial to not delegitimize the real problem by attacking accidental offenders.

Is there a difference between dressing in blackface and just dressing as a black person? Can’t it be done out of respect or admiration — why must it always be interpreted as parody?

When does justifiable racial sensitivity become racial narcissism? Why must it be consistently shoved in our faces as the most significant part of every issue?

Watkins is the truly prejudiced one, seeking revenge rather than understanding. Increasingly, it seems that racism is an occupation left to older people, while our generation would be more than eager to move forward instead. After all, prejudice must be taught.

Reach the columnist at djoconn1@asu.edu.

×