I’ve never been in a car accident before. Not as a driver and not as a passenger. But a few days ago, conflicting love and hate for a fictional series nearly marred that golden record.

My friends and I slowed down at an intersection to read “Team Edward 4ever!” painted on the rear window of a car stopped in front of us. Everyone in the car cringed— including me.

And then things reached a whole new level. The driver of the car I was in announced that he “should really just rear-end them right now.”

He was probably joking. The light changed just then, so I’ll never know for sure. But I’d certainly like to think so.

Nonetheless, his statement still makes me uncomfortable — and not just in that let’s-please-not-get-in-an-accident-tonight way. It’s the intensity of a hateful sentiment that really defies my emotional comfort zone, and it sometimes is unwarranted at that.

It's sufficent to say I’m not a Twilight fan. I saw the first movie with my Twilight-crazy mom and aunt at midnight, and that experience provided me with enough vampire-crazy Kristen Stewart to last a lifetime.

I can think of a thousand better things to do with window paint, with windshields, and with time. And fortunately, I have the free will to spend my time doing those things.

Therefore, I don’t experience a whole lot of displeasure from others’ appreciation of Twilight. Sure, I think the books are poorly written. I think the plot is awfully shallow, and the movies aren’t directed well.

But I also dislike “Bladerunner,” and “Lost in Translation,” and “Watchmen.” So I simply don’t watch them. And I also don’t hate those who do.

This unnecessary animosity, however, and it’s not limited to Twilight fans. Facebook houses at least six “I hate Justin Bieber” pages. Countless people explain their hate to webcams for YouTube, and Photoshop illustrations depicting hate for the teenage star litter the internet.

Fourteen-year-old Rebecca Black had it even worse. She did as the producers told her to when her mom paid ARK Music Factory to produce her music video. And suddenly, she was struck with YouTube comments wishing death upon her.

The malevolence bewilders me. I have friends who advocate global understanding. They want the U.S. to bring its soldiers home. They want a peaceful settlement between Israel and Palestine. But their love for tolerance and acceptance dies when pop culture comes into the picture.

Maybe it’s just something to talk about. Unfortunately, bashing often seems like the easiest way for young people to bond. But bonding with others at the expense of another human being’s dignity is never worth it.

Instead, people should bond over mutual passions. Whether it’s a passion for quality media, or even a passionate talk about constructive reasons for distaste, hurling insults isn’t the only way to make friends.

Dishing ridicule wastes huge amounts of energy. Take an extra class. Write a book. Make a movie. Give Twilight fans something better to write about on their windshields next time.

Reach the columnist at algrego1@asu.edu.

×