People will debate for the next few months whether college basketball or the NHL is the bigger beneficiary of the NBA lockout.

However, the NBA lockout hasn’t boosted my interest in either of these two sports significantly.

I never watched hockey, and I would still attend every home ASU basketball game even if the NBA were still playing nightly.

That’s because I graduated from a high school that prides itself in being the best student section in Arizona. It’s just hard to fathom not going to a home football or basketball game in college.

But I won’t watch any team other than ASU in basketball until the NCAA tournament starts up again in March.

Quite frankly, I don’t care too much about the college basketball because football is king. Basketball games don’t mean as much as they do in football because of the disparity in how many teams make the playoffs.

Two teams qualify for the real playoffs in college football, while 64 do in basketball.

This means the real college basketball season starts in March, when the most exciting postseason in sports takes place.

×