If five consecutive national championships weren’t enough to convince you that the SEC holds a monopoly in the college football world, how does having two SEC teams play each other for the crystal trophy sound?

Many ESPN experts said on the BCS countdown show last Sunday night that regardless of how No. 1 LSU fares against No. 14 Georgia in the SEC Championship game, the Tigers would still advance to the BCS National Championship game.

LSU would play No. 2 Alabama, a team the Tigers beat 9-6 in the title game during overtime a few weeks ago.

Never before have we seen one conference completely shut out the rest of the league.

Alabama, Auburn, LSU and Florida (twice), all members of the prestigious Southeastern Conference, have won the last five national championships.

There is no end in sight for the members of the SEC. With LSU and Alabama destined to play each other in the title game, the conference will have won the last six national championships.

The SEC isn’t slowing down anytime soon and next year those two teams, along with Georgia, are serious national title contenders.

×