The final missed field goal of the ASU-UCLA game exemplifies the Sun Devils’ reign under head coach Dennis Erickson so far: just a little short and wide. Saturday, the Sun Devils squandered a big chance and may not be able to recover from it. The worst part is that it feels all too similar.

Erickson's time under the Sun Devils has been tumultuous. Time after time, the Sun Devils have shot themselves in the foot. Whether it is penalties, off the field issues, or a complete lack of passion like on Saturday, ASU has fallen short of success. As a diehard fan, it's hard to stay excited about a team that routinely lets you down.

Until the end of this season, the Sun Devils haven't been to a bowl game since 2007. Erickson isn't a first-time coach looking for success. This is a man that has won two National Championships. The continual letdown is unacceptable, especially for ASU, a school rich with football tradition.

1996 seems all too long ago. I truly thought ASU could attain success on that level this year. I guess ASU will have to wait for a better chance at playing at the Rose Bowl again in another year or two.

Reach the reporter at dsshapi1@asu.edu

×