It’s a growing epidemic in this country, plaguing the otherwise knowledgeable and free-thinking masses with its never ending dribble.

It’s called Kardashian Syndrome, and there is only one distinct and real symptom: being too wrapped-up in and obsessed with the exorbitant glamour, unnecessary drama and the unyielding attention-seeking ways of a reality TV star’s life.

I’ll be the first to admit that I, too, am a recovering addict of the sweet, sweet drug that is reality television.

But that was in the good old days, when not that much of someone’s personal life was put on the airwaves, and there was some restraint regarding what some producers would let be seen. Now, the landscape of the reality television industry is and has changed.

All this animosity has been building up for quite some time now, but the straw that broke the camel’s back was the ordeal/fiasco/hot mess of the divorce between Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries.

How someone has the audacity to broadcast an intimate moment such as their wedding that ultimately ended in divorce is beyond comprehension, and good taste.

The entire marriage, which lasted an astoundingly long 72 days, has already been mocked in all social media outlets, with hashtags like #thingslongerthankimsmarriage trending on Twitter worldwide.

In a statement to ABC News, Kardashian said, “After careful consideration, I have decided to end my marriage. I hope everyone understands this was not an easy decision.”

However sad her fans think her split with her basketball ex-hubby is, it really isn’t relevant to what is going on in the world; and this is coming from a pop-culture junkie who used to adore the ground the Kardashians walked on.

The marriage and divorce of Kardashian has gotten so much attention in the news, and that stems from America’s fascination with reality TV.

According to a 2005 study by the Journal of Consumer Research, reported by Fox News, “Unlike other shows such as news programs or sitcoms, reality TV allows viewers to imagine themselves as actual participants.”

Fox News also wrote, “Viewers are given the chance to compare and contrast their own lives with those of the shows' protagonists. Viewers may be drawn by the chance to mentally ‘test’ their behavior against that of the actual participants contrasts with the common criticism of reality TV viewers as passive voyeurs.”

‘Voyeurs’ is right. I feel like such a peeping tom when I see a scene of the Kardashians, or any other reality TV show star for that matter, getting glammed up and ready in the bathroom before a hard day’s work in Hollywood.

It is so uncomfortable to watch is also the fact that the “stars” of reality TV don’t really do much in the actual shows.

They are shown just living their own lives. It’s not like they are busy making an album or filming a movie. Why would I want to waste time watching Kim Kardashian have sushi at Katsuya? I’ve got things to do.

But as uncomfortable as it is to watch some of the “reality” of TV shows like “Keeping Up with the Kardashians,” “The Girls Next Door,” “Kendra” and “Dirty Soap” (basically anything on E!), it is very hard to change the channel, especially when something interesting and dramatic as a divorce after only 72 days is unfolding right in front of your face.

Tuning into a reality TV show is like seeing a 10-car pile-up on the shoulder of the Loop 202.

It’s an ugly and sad sight, but you can’t help but watch every second of it.

Reach the columnist at  jermac@asu.edu Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×