Letters: Nov. 23

WELL, AREN’T WE HEALTHY?

I am writing to you after one of the worst home game experiences I have ever had, which occurred at the ASU vs. UA home football game.

At each game, I have always felt that the security treated the students like second-class citizens with the needless constraints they place on students and the rude manner in which they speak to us.

This past Saturday, however, security crossed the line from treating us disrespectfully to illegal. About half way through the first quarter, I found out from a friend that we were no longer permitted to leave our seats to get water, food or to use the restroom, and if we did in fact leave the section, we would not be allowed back in.

We were essentially taken hostage against our will. What part of that idea sounds safe or healthy for anyone involved?

How can you deny us water when we play in the desert? And not being able to use the restroom is unsafe for health reasons.

We were then told that we could come and go freely at halftime, so I waited until then to use the overcrowded restroom and get some food and a drink.

However, the Pro Em security still weren't letting people down back to their seats.

These are people that paid for these seats, stood in a long line to get the wristbands and were trying to return to the correct section only to be stopped by the rental security.

I only have one game remaining as a student, and I must say that I am glad I won't be subjected to this ridiculous treatment any longer, but you must change these policies for the students to come.

Ashley Moscarello

Undergraduate

SAFETY IN DORMS

(In response to Kyle Daly, November 22, 2011 article, “Desk closings lead to homeless entering dorms”)

The safety and security of ASU students is of paramount concern to the university, including those students who live in university housing.

Access to university residence halls is controlled through key card security at exterior points of entry, stairwells, hallways and room entry. In addition, service desks in most facilities are staffed to provide support to residents and to augment residential security, especially in crises or emergency situations.

This fall, the service desk program was modified in some locations, and in the specific case of Palo Verde Main/East/West, consolidated.  Despite the lack of demand for support services at these sites, residents value the presence of desk staff as a means to augment building security.  As a result, a decision was made last month to re-establish operations of service desks where modified and as such, service desks will be staffed and re-opened effective November 28.

Jennifer Hightower

Associate Vice President for Student Services

Arizona State University

480.965.2200

×