‘My Week With Marilyn’ as charming as the icon herself

Courtesy of The Weinstein Company
Courtesy of The Weinstein Company

‘My Week With Marilyn’

4/5 Pitchforks

Starring: Michelle Williams, Eddie Redmayne, Judi Dench

Rated: R

Released: Nov. 23

In what is perhaps one of Michelle Williams’ greatest performances, “My Week With Marilyn” brings both admiration and pity for the fragile Hollywood star, Marilyn Monroe.

Taken from Colin Clark’s autobiography “The Prince, The Showgirl and Me,” the film takes us back to 1956 on the set of Sir Lawrence Olivier’s comedy “The Prince and the Showgirl,” which starred Olivier and Marilyn Monroe.

Eddie Redmayne plays Colin Clark, the lowly director’s third assistant on the set of this film. Like a fly on the wall, Clark watches the events that unfold on the set when Monroe, played by the stunning Michelle Williams, not only shows up late to the set every day, but also rarely ever remembers her lines.

Kenneth Branagh brilliantly portrays Sir Lawrence Olivier, who becomes enraged by Monroe’s lack of professionalism. His frustration and condescending remarks towards the actress provide some comedic relief for the intended dramatic/romance film.

With the world watching her every move and with Olivier constantly disparaging her, Marilyn Monroe was the most insecure and pathetic creature that was ever loved by millions. The audience pities Monroe’s completely neurotic and oftentimes psychotic behavior as Clark manages to find his way into her life in hopes to fix the broken and helpless starlet.

It will be truly surprising if Williams does not receive an Oscar for her complete transformation into the world’s most beloved and lusted icon. Williams is identical to Marilyn: the same measurements, mannerisms, breathy voice and even sexy strut (Williams had to hire a choreographer to nail this one down). Even Marilyn’s subtle and seemingly effortless seductive nature was encompassed in Williams’s performance.

In less than 100 minutes, the film uncovers the secret life behind the Hollywood beauty. It is hard to hate her and also difficult to absolutely love her. Surrounded by sycophantic friends and colleagues, fame and fortune becomes lost in Monroe’s own insecurities, emotional instabilities and drug addiction.

A talented cast, an interesting and true story, a sex icon and a great actor with a bad temper all combine to create a beautiful, fun, charming and devastating film — exactly like Monroe herself.

Reach the reporter at jocelyn.gee@asu.edu

×