This weekend, when the only thing you’re #Occupying is the couch (read: tryptophan-induced coma) your family’s conversation might turn to politics. (Read: will turn to politics.) Of course, it will cover the protest that has been sweeping the nation.

We all have our opinions on Occupy Wall Street, and now it seems the movement that symbolizes a country fed up with corporate greed and takes aim at capitalism, consumerism and all of the major financial institutions (read: White collar criminals) is facing its most excruciating challenge yet: Black Friday.

Will the movement stand strong? Will the message prevail?

The Occupy Wall Street’s website addresses its new adversary in a forum post. “Economic solidarity is essential in the 99 percent. Big retail political money goes towards the people who influence them the most; big retail has no loyalty. If we want big retail to support the candidates we back, then we need to show them that we are together. Stop Black Friday.”

These are strong words, inspirational, and those in line with the movement are stepping up.

Yet, somehow, they seem to be falling short; their message might be lost or skewed by protestors who have a better inclination as to what they’re against more-so than what they stand for.

The website, StopBlackFriday.com, offers suggestions to protestors on how to carry on the Occupy movement on Black Friday. The site lists possible sign ideas that might do more to make the reader laugh than really inspire any anti-capitalism ideals.

“The customer’s always 99 percent right, Stop Black Friday!” one reads. Another—equally as eloquent yet essentially meaningless — “We don’t hate capitalism, just CRAPITALISM.”

The website even acknowledges the inadequacy of their signs. “ It doesn't ‘say’ as much, but it's funny enough that people will get the general message without having to spell it out.”

I’m getting visions of these protestors eventually justifying their participation in Black Friday once they stumble upon an incredible deal on tents or camping supplies at REI.

The retail giants pull us in year after year with deals and freebies. Don’t be fooled. Don’t be disillusioned by a free snow globe, or 25 percent off on a new flat-screen television, gaming console or whatever device you might use to go on Facebook.

Forget the cliché signs and remember that companies like Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Amazon are traded daily on the New York Stock Exchange.

In today’s economy, the American consumer should be demanding more for their money, and more from the retailers — and I don’t just mean crazy BOGO deals.

By unscrupulously squandering away our paychecks on Black Friday, we are only further perpetuating this recession.

Consumerism is not the answer.

Reach the columnist at Bkarris@asu.edu Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×