Piece of Craft: Guide to Making Your Own Stencils

A DIY stencil. Photo courtesy of wesayhow.com.

After my post during Halloween week regarding various ways pumpkins can be decorated other than just the stereotypical carving, I received quite a few e-mails about stencils. Specifically, most people were interested in creating (or finding) their own ASU related stencil to carve on their pumpkins. From my own experience with pumpkin carving, I have either just followed a pattern found in a pumpkin carving kit, or thrown all caution to the wind and went freestyle.  Typically, this is how I handle most of my art. I don’t really like to be structured but I realize that there are time when following a specific pattern, such as a stencil, is quite beneficial, especially in things like pumpkin carving or designing T-shirts. Sometimes what you want to create doesn’t even have a set pattern or structured design already created, so it may time to take matters into your own hands.

There are many ways to go about making various types of stencils. Depending on what you’re doing it will be easier or harder. For example, I find making stencils for T-shirts to be very easy.  All you need for this is cardboard, a pen, and scissors (or an X-acto knife works well too).   Trace or draw a design free hand on your piece of cardboard and use your sharp object to cut it out.  Use the larger portion (rather than the shape you just cut out) and this will be your stencil.  Paint or draw your desired object on your shirt using your stencil and you’re good to go. I use this technique a lot with lettering. It works like a charm!

For stencils for things such as pumpkin carving or perhaps to make lanterns for the upcoming winter holidays, you can attempt to make stencils in a similar way, but the more complex they are, the harder this will be. I recommend actually using Internet websites or generators that give you a step-by-step tutorial of making a stencil out of an image you want. For example, if you wanted to use Sparky or the Pitchfork symbol, there are programs that essentially teach you how to use Photoshop to make your image completely grayscale and highly contrasted so it’s easier to find the major lines to carve or cut out.

Again, depending on how complex your image is, I think it’s always worth a try to just print out a copy of it, and try your hand at outlining it by using your carving tool (or whatever crafting tool you are using).  You’d be surprised how easy stencil making can actually be.

Hopefully, this gives you some helpful tips to attempt stencils for yourself! If you have any further questions, please contact me at fbreisbl@asu.edu.

×