Prince's poise leads UCLA to win

UCLA quarterback Kevin Prince runs the ball during the first half of UCLA's upset win over ASU on Saturday. Prince's steady performance was a huge factor in the victory. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Check out more photos from Saturday's game against UCLA in this slideshow.

Pasadena, Calif. — While looking back on UCLA’s 29-28 victory over Arizona State, many will point to the missed 46-yard field goal attempt as time expired. However, the biggest play of the game may have come one possession earlier.

With his team trailing 28-23, junior quarterback Kevin Prince converted a 3rd and 29 by connecting with senior wide receiver Nelson Rosario, who finished with 151 yards and a touchdown, for 32 yards.

“We sent Nelson on a go,” Prince said. “Tried to get the safety to move and threw a back shoulder. They played it really well, we just executed.”

The Bruins (5-4, 4-2 Pac-12) proceeded to score with 49 seconds remaining and held on to their one -point lead to upset the No. 20 Sun Devils (6-3, 4-2). The Bruins won back-to-back games for the first time all season and control their own destiny in the Pac-12 South.

“We are thrilled about that,” UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel said. “We are going to enjoy it and then we are going to go back to work. I’m really excited about the way the kids fought tonight. Thrilled with the resolve that we showed.”

A week after Prince rushed for 163 yards in a victory over Cal, the Bruin signal-caller turned in another brilliant performance. Prince completed 11 of 17 passes for 196 yards and a touchdown and added another 61 yards on the ground.

While Neuheisel was pleased with his quarterback’s performance as a whole, he was particularly happy with the way Prince managed the 10-play, five minute drive that put the Bruins on top for good.

“We wanted to be patient,” Neuheisel said. “We wanted to use as much (time) as we could. I thought it was orchestrated really well. That’s what UCLA football is all about.”

Come-from-behind wins are all about poise and confidence, things Prince showed a lot of on Saturday.

“We never felt like we were going to lose,” Prince said. “We had full confidence in our defense. We knew we could go down and score and that’s exactly what we did. We just keep fighting.”

Prince’s poise did not surprise Neuheisel, who stressed earlier in the week how much he believed in his quarterback. After the game, the head coach was just as complimentary of his signal-caller.

“Kevin Prince is a wonderful human being,” Neuheisel said. “Everyone here would love their daughter to marry him. He’s that kind of guy.”

Prince may receive the majority of the attention for the Bruins win, the running back and defense played integral roles as well.

“We’re going to keep trying to mix things up, that’s the key,” Neuheisel said of his defense. “We did a nice job of keeping them from being comfortable.”

Entering Saturday’s contest, Neuheisel wanted his team to be physical. Behind junior running back Johnathan Franklin and senior Derrick Coleman, the Bruins rushed for 220 yards and three touchdowns, emphasizing their physicality.

Neuheisel said his team is getting better and has a renewed focus, but the Bruins also realize they have three tough games standing between them and a South division title.

“We’re making some plays and that’s a credit to everybody, coaches and players alike,” Neuheisel said. “We understand what it takes. We have to do it again next week because it will be a raucous environment when we get to Utah next week.

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×