Q&A: Danica Mendivil on season goals, life after volleyball

LOVE FOR THE GAME: ASU sophomore outside hitter Danica Mendivil celebrates after a point during a match. The 2010 Pac-10 All-Freshman Honorable Mention inductee said she enjoys the intensity and competition as a member of the Sun Devil volleyball team. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Sophomore outside hitter Danica Mendivil has made quite an impact for the ASU volleyball team in a short amount of time.

As a freshman she ranked second on the team with 284 kills and was awarded to the 2010 Pac-10 All-Freshman Honorable Mention team.

This year, Mendivil ranks third on the team with 178 kills.

Mendivil sat down with the State Press to talk about her time at ASU so far.

SP: First off, why do you decide to come to ASU?

DM: I choose to come here because of the competition, coaching staff, the environment and the opportunity to compete and play.

SP: What about the competition do you enjoy the most?

DM: In the Pac-12, every single match that you play in, everything is so intense. I love that feeling. I am a very competitive person to start out with so being able to do that every single weekend I really enjoy that.

SP: What is your favorite aspect of being on the team?

DM: I think my favorite aspect is that we all want to win, compete and fight. Even in practices we are going at it and we are trying to get each other better. We are trying to be the best team we can be to have a successful program.

SP: Do practices get pretty intense?

DM: Yes. Sometimes a ball will go out or you think the other team touched it and sometimes trying to figure out what really happened it will get pretty heated. It shows how much you want to win that drill.

SP: Do disagreements in practice ever linger?

DM: We have a rule that what happens on the court stays there. We will usually sit there in the locker room and laugh about it and say something like, “Oh yeah, I totally knew that was out but I just wanted to win.”

SP: You always talk about how you love playing the game of volleyball. What about the sport do you love so much?

DM: It is kind of my escape from everything. If it’s been a bad day, it’s my opportunity to come in and have fun. I think the aspects of being with your team, doing something you enjoy and being able to try to get better to reach your future goal is what I look forward to.

SP: Do you think you play better when you are relaxed and having fun?

DM: When I think things like, “Oh I need to do this a little bit better, oh I should hit this a little different or pass this way.” Then I overthink and don’t let it come to me. So I play a lot better when I am out there having fun and enjoying it.

SP: What are your goals and what do you want your legacy to be when are done at ASU?

DM: I’m done, I want people to say, “She helped this program succeed.” I want to know that I gave my best and did everything I could to help the program get to where it wants to be.

SP: It has been a tough season. How do you keep up your morale as the season goes on?

DM: It’s a mindset that you cannot give up. Yes, it may be the path you want or it might not be going as well as you think it is but there is always the next day and next weekend.

We already know our record hasn’t been that ideal.  I also think about what I can do now to make the next season better.

SP: You are going to an upperclassman soon. Do you see yourself embracing more of a leadership role?

DM: I think it helps our team and we do better when everybody embraces that role. I figured that out this year that if everybody steps up and tries to lead together cohesively as a team I think that will help.

SP: Was there a specific time when you spoke up to the team?

DM: In one practice I just buckled down and said, “We need to get this done. We are not practicing well right now. We have to step it up.” I didn’t really get in people’s faces about it but I just held everybody to a higher standard.

SP: What are your plans after ASU volleyball?

DM: Ever since I started I’ve pictured my life playing volleyball. It’s all I want to do. I am going to try my hardest here to continue to improve and be better so that by the time I’m done with ASU college ball that I can maybe be able to go overseas and play professionally.

SP: Do you have any interest in pro beach volleyball in America?

DM: My sister and I always play in the summer and my brother and I go to tournaments. If I could dial in to how to play on the sand and get better that would definitely be another option that I would love to do.

SP: What was your experience like winning a state championship in high school?

DM: We won my senior year and my junior year we took second. That year was our year, and it was my last year in high school.

I loved that feeling of winning a big match when it was super competitive. It was a lot of fun, I enjoyed it and I was glad to finally get one in my last high school season.

SP: Do you to have that same feeling here at ASU?

DM: I would love that. For us to be at the top of the pack, I think would be great. I think that is what we are all striving for.

SP: What has been a challenge for you, adapting to being a college athlete?

DM: One that is hardest is managing your time on the road. You devote so much time to practices you really need to stay on top and be organized in your schoolwork because it is very easy to falter.

SP: You are originally from Utah. What is it like being away from your family?

DM: I have been away from my family before. I moved away to play club. I definitely miss them but they are so supportive and they will try to come out and visit me.

Your team is like your family away from your family. So you definitely always have that to fall back to.

SP: If you could play any other sport besides volleyball, what would it be?

DM: It would probably be track. I have always done track through high school. I just love it probably because of its aspects. I did all the jumping events. I did high jump, hurdles and long jump. I made it nationals in high jump once and won region in high school for track.

SP: If you placed a mat behind the volleyball net, do you think you could jump over the net?

DM: Nah, nah (I’m) not that tall. I wasn’t that good. I wish. That would be pretty tight.

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×