R.E.M. calls it quits after 30 years

(Image courtesy of Warner Bros. Records)

Back when the Internet didn’t give you everything, college radio did. Throughout the '80s and '90s, the band R.E.M. was on everyone’s dial.

Having formed in Athens, Georgia in 1980, R.E.M. had their first hit “Radio Free Europe” from their debut album “Murmur” in 1983. What followed for nearly 30 more years was the unique sound and presence that R.E.M. brought to everyone looking for something outside of mainstream music.

While all the other bands of that time were more concerned with hair, obnoxious guitar solos and the pursuit of fame through ridiculous and staged theatrics, R.E.M. pioneered something new: an alternative music.

Sadly, after 15 full-length albums, countless videos and B-side compilations — including “Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage 1982-2011” which was released earlier this week — the band has decided to call it quits.

It would be nearly impossible (and rather presumptuous) to compile a legitimate “Best of” album for a band with so much material as R.E.M. Nevertheless, we can instead take a look back at a handful of the band's albums that stand out the most in their storied career.

“Document,” 1987

It really isn’t until “Document” where we see the band begin to take shape. The track “It’s the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)” is the easy favorite for obvious reasons, as it shows the depth singer/lyricist Michael Stipe has and is seemingly capable of achieving with relative ease on a moment's notice. The following track “The One I Love” shows just how beautifully he can be matched with an inventive and innovative musical accompaniment.

“Automatic for the People,” 1992

Many would probably argue that this album is the band's greatest by the sheer fact that “Everybody Hurts” is on it. A strong argument could certainly be made to that end, with tracks like “Sweetness Follow,” “Man on the Moon” and “Nightswimming” only strengthening that point. Certainly a commercial success, the album also was a foot in the door to listeners who were unaware, but curious of R.E.M.’s potential.

“Monster,” 1994

If what you really want is a non-stop action packed thrill ride of an R.E.M. album, then look no further. From start to finish, you can rock out to this over and over again with out minding at all. The lyrics of “Crush With Eyeliner” are so real and raw that it almost certainly will change your musical life. I’ll take “Strange Currencies” over “Everybody Hurts” any day of the week, and if there is a better track than “Let Me In” — by anyone, ever — I haven’t heard it.

“New Adventures in Hi-Fi,” 1996

Recorded just after “Monster,” “New Adventures in Hi-Fi” carries over some of the bands raucous sound with tracks like “The Wake-Up Bomb” and “Leave.” It also cashes in on how well R.E.M. could fill dead air with the beautifully frightening recording of “E-Bow the Letter.”

“Collapse into Now,” 2011

Released just a few months back, “Collapse into Now” was a chillingly reminder of what we had all forgotten R.E.M. possessed. “ÜBerlin” and “Oh My Heart” are two perfect tracks that can serve as the band's farewell bid to us all, while “Walk It Back” is proof that the band was saving the best for last.

Reach the reporter at jbfortne@asu.edu

×