‘Talk That Talk’

4/5 Pitchforks

Label: Def Jam

Released: Nov. 21

The buzz around the Internet for the past month has in large part been focused on Rihanna’s highly anticipated — and that is an understatement — sixth album “Talk That Talk.”

The album dropped on Nov. 21, but fans did not have to wait until this week to hear from their favorite pop star. The entire record was leaked either online or on the radio over the course of the past seven days.

“Talk That Talk” is the essence of Rihanna. What fans can appreciate about Rihanna is that she does not hide behind innuendos or poetically disguised lyrics to make a point that most listeners understand right away anyway. Rihanna literally talks the talk.

Alas, this very characteristic is what the popular singer is most often criticized for.  Fans know that Rihanna does not shy away from the topic of sex. In fact, she goes after it (lyrically) harder than I’ve ever heard an artist go after it before. It seems that this is often interpreted as her being one-dimensional. When she does slow it down or belt out lyrics focused more on love than on sex, critics say she is trying too hard to feel.

“Talk That Talk” is no different from past releases, in that regard.

“When she wants to convey emotion, as on ‘Drunk on Love,’ she essentially shouts the lyrics … but staggers around the melody,” wrote Jon Caramanica of the New York Times.

Randall Roberts of Los Angeles Times described the album as “hornier” than her last. The publication dubbed the bass as heavier and described the sounds as nastier, even when paced down.

“These are pumped up hits aimed at the pelvic region,” Roberts wrote.

While Rihanna may not be winning any Grammys for songwriting with this album, it is basically guaranteed to be a hit — especially if you believe in the mantra, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Rihanna is famous for delivering dance songs and “Talk That Talk” is packed with them.

Tracks like “You Da One,” “Cockiness (Love It)” and “Birthday Cake” give listeners exactly what they expect to hear from Rihanna: an up-tempo number that’s a little bit naughty and a whole lot of fun. The music bangs and will no doubt be played in nightclubs nationwide until Rihanna is ready to release another album.

You know what they say: “Haters gonna hate.” As far as I’m concerned, “Talk That Talk” is Rihanna’s best album yet. She gives her fans everything they’ve come to know and expect from her — and I don’t hear any hating.

Reach the reporter at cemurph2@asu.edu

×