Sigur Ros’ highly anticipated film ‘Inni’ comes to Phoenix

You would be hard-pressed to find something by Sigur Ros that hasn’t been favored by critics. Iceland's iconic post-rock band has been changing the scene of rock and ambient music for decades — and they plan to do it again.

This weekend, Sigur Ros is releasing its highly anticipated feature film “Inni" in North America. “Inni” is the band’s first film since 2007’s critically acclaimed “Heima.” Sigur Ros has been performing together since the late ‘90s, but they seem to be exponentially gaining positive recognition now more than ever.

“Inni,” a collection of live performances from one of the band's performances in London, had a trailer released in early August on Sigur Ros’ official website. Since then, fans have been waiting patiently for the film, mostly because of how incredible and breathtaking their first movie was.

“Heima” was a major step for Iceland’s finest in 2007; not only was the movie released, but Sigur Ros promoted the film with Q&A sessions in America and Europe. The heavy increase in publicity they gained helped recruit more film critics to watch “Heima,” bringing it to instant approval. For those who wish to catch a glimpse of the band's new film, there is a 10-minute teaser video online for anyone to view.

Since “Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust” was released in 2008, the members of the band have been quite busy. While performing together, many of the band members have been focusing on side projects, toying with new musical styles and handling personal occurrences in their lives. Although the band took an indefinite hiatus in 2010, they have been playing together once again at music festivals internationally and are reportedly recording a new album.

As for “Inni,” a change of pace will be noticeable to those who have also had the delight of viewing “Heima.”

“Inni” teasers and spoilers seem to show a more artistic side of the band, while their first film was more of a travelog, documenting Jonsi and the gang returning home to Iceland and playing free, unannounced shows for fans in their home country.

The soothing ambience of Jonsi’s signature falsetto accompanied by the foreign tongue and unique use of instruments is enough of a draw for music lovers across the board to see the band's spectacular live performances filtered into the form of a documentary. Luckily for those living in the Phoenix area, the FilmBar in downtown Phoenix has showings starting on Friday, Nov. 11.

Visit the FilmBar's website at thefilmbar.com for more details.

Also to the delight of Sigur Ros fans and musical fanatics alike, the Icelandic artists have confirmed that they will be touring in 2012. While the unfortunate moment when the ending credits start rolling of “Inni” is inevitable, at least fans of Sigur Ros have the chance to see them perform live to look forward to. Reach the reporter at kmstark1@asu.edu

×