‘The Descendants’ provides laughter and tears

Courtesy of Fox Searchlight Pictures
Courtesy of Fox Searchlight Pictures

‘The Descendants’

4/5 Pitchforks

Starring: George Clooney, Shailene Woodley, Judy Greer

Rated: R

Release date: Nov. 23

When a man assumes to have a life based on order and function and then finds this notion overturned by misfortune and deceit, what is he to do? The poignant and contemplative film “The Descendants” sketches out family tragedy with a crushing yet energetic feel. Jokes emerge from bizarre behaviors and strange interactions, which gives a light-hearted feel to an otherwise depressing story. Though the marriage of laughter and tears can be difficult, the film aptly pulls it off.

Adapted from Kaui Hart Hemmings’ novel, “The Descendants” centers around Matt King (George Clooney), an overly hardworking lawyer whose wife is in a coma after a severe motorboat accident off of Waikiki. As her grim condition gets continually worse, Matt finds himself having to grapple with the loss as well as step up to the role as a patient parent to his difficult and rebellious daughters (Shailene Woodley and Amara Miller). As he prepares to tell friends and family of his wife’s impending death, Matt learns of his wife’s infidelities with a local real estate agent (Matthew Lillard).  Confused, stunned and outraged, Matt reconsiders the trust he placed in his wife and also his inadequacies as a father and husband.

Also burdening Matt’s thoughts is a profitable property deal that involves selling acres of his extended family’s inherited pristine Hawaiian property for millions of dollars. Matt has the final say on the decision, and though the deal would reap considerable gain, it would also cut the family’s connection and history with the island.

The storyline uses several plots that have been told before: choosing whether to sell land to a money-grubbing corporation, finding out about a cheating spouse, dealing with self-entitled adolescents, etc. However, though these are familiar, they are woven together to make an interesting commentary on family and love.

Director Alexander Payne (“Sideways”) shows a simultaneously sharp and sensitive understanding of the American family lifestyle. He clearly has a solid feel for his material and is able to inject unique details and shots that further enhance the film’s emotional value. Clooney also smartly and attentively hits highly resonant notes to deliver a sense of pathos to the film.

“The Descendants” shows all forms of grieving — anger, sadness, denial and cruelty — in understated scenes of crippling encounters and endearing confessions. The most effective moments display either distinct nuances or scathing honesty.  The movie slows down toward the end, but then again, grief is not meant to be rushed — and neither is this movie.

Reach the reporter at mgrichar@asu.edu

×