USG considers emergency call boxes, hears plans to save Pell Grant

STUDENT LEADERS: Tina Mounlavongsy, USG President Jacob Goulding, and James Baumer address the senate at a USG meeting Tuesday evening to discuss several topics, including adding more emergency light boxes on campus as a preventative measure. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

The Undergraduate Student Government Senate met Tuesday night to discuss a variety of topics concerning ASU, from installing more blue light call boxes to efforts to save the federal Pell Grant.

In an address to the senate, USG President and political science senior Jacob Goulding highlighted the need for the installation of more blue light call boxes throughout campus, specifically in residence hall complexes.

“It’s part of our job to make sure we’re advocates for issues like student safety,” Goulding said. “There are blue lights around campus now, but not in some of the dim lit places where they are most necessary.”

Because Goulding said there has not been an increase of incidents around campus where blue light call boxes would have been beneficial, he views this as a preventative measure rather than a reactionary one.

USG Vice President of Policy and political science senior James Baumer said USG is working with Tempe Police and the ASU Administration to have more lights installed.

“We’ve noticed some of the resident halls have closed their front desks (at night) so we’re trying to make sure students have easier access, regardless of the time of day, to an emergency phone if they need one,” Baumer said.

Political science sophomore Brianna Pantilione, director for the Arizona Students’ Association, addressed the senate in regards to a recent push by ASA to save the federal Pell Grant.

The Federal Pell Grant Program was expected to suffer funding cuts this year before President Barack Obama signed a bill in August to increase the nation’s debt ceiling. The law calls for $17 billion in Pell Grant funding over the next two years.

Pantilione informed the senate of the student-lobbying group’s efforts to present U.S. Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., with more than 1,000 statements of support for the Pell Grant.

She said she hopes to reach 2,000 statements by the end of the week.

“(ASA) is trying to make sure that these (loans and grants) stay protected,” Pantilione said. “This will ensure that students have reasonable ways to actually pay for college.”

Pantilione said ASA hopes in presenting these statements of support to Kyl, he will keep higher education in mind when considering national budget cuts in the newly created Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction.

Reach the reporter at doberhau@asu.edu

×