Wrestling hosts the All-Star Classic

HIGH CALIBER: ASU senior Levi Cooper works a tilt against GCU’s Jordan Johnson on Sunday. Cooper and senior Eric Starks are both taking part in the All-Star Classic, hosted by ASU on Monday. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

On Monday, ASU plays host to the 46th annual National Wrestling Coaches Association All-Star Classic at Wells Fargo Arena, a prestigious event that will feature 20 of the nation’s top wrestlers in a dual meet format.

“This will be the first time ever that Arizona State has the honor of hosting the All-Star Classic.” said ASU coach and two-time All-Star competitor Shawn Charles, “It’s going to be great for the state of Arizona and for the community.”

The All-Star Classic field includes three NCAA champions and 19 All-Americans. Before the main event gets underway at 7 p.m., the Sun Devils are staging a few competitions of their own.

At 4 p.m. the inaugural Border War showcases some of the top high school grapplers from around the southwest in a single-elimination, random draw tournament. Simultaneously, the Military Duel occurs in a typical duel format. Phoenix’s Luke Air Force Base takes on the U.S. Marine Corps, the headlining sponsor for the night.

Finally, two ASU wrestlers compete in exhibition matches shortly before the All-Star Classic begins. All-American heavyweight Levi Cooper takes on Grand Canyon’s Jordan Johnson in the heavyweight division (whom Cooper defeated last weekend at the Arizona Wrestling Festival) and senior Eric Starks faces off against ‘Lopes All-American Victor Carazo at 174 lbs.

“I’m really happy that we are hosting this so that people in Arizona have the opportunity to see some of the best wrestling the country has to offer without having to travel very far,” Cooper said.

Considering that a handful of the top high school, colligate and military wrestlers are in town, Cooper has plenty to feel good about on behalf of his program and the university as a whole.

“I think it’s going to be a great deal for people to come and check out Arizona State and see what we’re all about,” Cooper said. “It’ll be good exposure for the school, and maybe people who haven’t watched wrestling or seen too many wrestling matches will be interested in coming to check it out. And if they enjoy what they see, maybe they’ll come check out the Sun Devil wrestling team on a regular basis.”

Among the talented wrestlers competing on the mat Monday are returning national champions junior Jordan Oliver (Oklahoma State, No. 1 at 133) and redshirt senior Kellen Russell (Michigan, No. 1 at 144). The tradition of great wrestlers like Oliver and Russell at this event is something Charles, the 1993 All-Star Classic victor at 126 lbs., knows well.

“I wrestled in the event twice, my junior and senior year,” Charles said. “You get the opportunity to wrestle against some of the top wrestlers in the country. It’s a good individual showcase.”

Cooper plans to use his experience on Monday not just as a showcase but as a learning experience, too. According to the redshirt junior, one can pick up a lot by just watching the way other top collegiate wrestlers go about their business on and off the mat.

“I’ll get to see how other guys come out and get ready for their matches and that kind of thing,” Cooper said. “I’m one of those people who, if I see something I like from someone else, I’m going to steal their idea. Maybe I’ll have the opportunity to get a few things (Monday) that I’ll be able to implement in my training.”

Both Cooper and Charles also felt that this event raises the profile of the ASU program and west coast wrestling as a whole.

“Certainly, the west coast has been hit the worst by the downturn in wrestling,” Cooper explained, “and so having this kind of an event on the West Coast and showing (university) administrators here that there is a lot of support for wrestling in the area will be very big for our program.”

Reach the reporter at kyle.j.newman@asu.edu

×